DanishPastry

Hi guys and the genius Pingu

I hope you can help

I had a virus warning flash up, listing these 3:

W32/Viruta.a

Exploit-MS word

Win32: Delf-XQ

If i remember correctly, it was my AVG warning message

A second box popped up, i 'think' it was a Microsoft security box (or maybe AVG), stopping all these were critical and threaten to take over my whole PC and take all my passwords and bank details.

However, when i clicked the remvoal prompts, it just said awaiting removal and i wa saunalbe to access any otehr websites nor do control/alt/delete.

I even tried to 'x' the orginal warnign box and it kept popping up again, repeating all the above.

My intial thoughts are therefore its a scam, and i dont really have those 3 viruses/trojans.

Naturally, i am still scare ddue to my bank account.

It later all disappeared of own accord.

Since then i have done full scans with AVG, windows defender, and Spybot

All clear

After googling W32/Viruta.a i disabled system restore, seelcted safe mode for networking, and did the following online scans:

BitDefender

Panda ActiveScan

Symantec (Norton)

McFee freebie wouldnt work for Firefox

Kaspersky freebie currently unavailable

TrendMicro Housecall had glitch downloading

Next im going run hijack this and then the full freebie scan for F-Secure (takes hours).

I considered reformatting my hard drive, but there is a snag.

I bought Verbatim CD-R and went to copy all the photos using In-CD programme.

Tried 3 disks, but there was unspecified fault with copying.

So, 2 questions:

1. Anyone know how to fix my copying problem or know any online copying tools

These photos dont exist anywhere else and are of our 2 dogs that just died

2. Do i actually need to reformat. Can i trust that all the scans above are true and that the virus warning were cons and i am safe to do banking etc online?

Please help, i have been up all night working on this.

PS:

Now replaced my CD Drive as old one has been wasting discs for ages.

New one is NEC CD-RW NR-9100A.

Under it's properties it says 'device working properly' but when you click on it it says 'device inaccessible'.

Can anyone advise how to get my Pc to recognise/activate this?

I tried updating driver, existing driver was stated as fine.

(Im buying an external USB drive later on as well)

Looks like a fake alert scam to me designed to get you to unknowingly download a trojen/malaware to your pc, even if you did inadvertantly click on their pop up (which are designed to look like genuine windows anti virus alerts) the one this one seems based on is buggy and doesn't fully install. If you have had no positives from any of the scans you've run and are not getting pop ups anymore then I suspect it didn't fully download. Reformatting is the last thing I would do and only IF I was getting alerts from genuine anti virus or malaware scanners.

AVG can also give false positives for certain types of files and this also might have been what happened, again if you've scanned and not found anything with several different scanners you should be in the clear - the W32.virtua virus came out in 2006 it would be highly unlikely that it's signature isn't recognised by several different scanners.