UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Guinea Pig Used In Truancy Project At School

Rudi

I think its a very good idea that childern ( and adults ) understand that if an animal is not cared for it will suffer and die

I don't for one minute think the school would let the animal die as they would be leaving themselves open to legal action for animal cruelty / abuse

I do agree that the cage looks to small but i think most indoor cages for Guinea Pigs and Rabbits are far far to small anyway

I think its a very good idea that childern ( and adults ) understand that if an animal is not cared for it will suffer and die

I don't for one minute think the school would let the animal die as they would be leaving themselves open to legal action for animal cruelty / abuse

But that's precisely the point. I don't suppose the school will let the guinea pig die, so what on earth are they trying to achieve by pretending it will (in the event of its not being fed by the kids)?

I'd imagine the average teenager isn't going to be fooled by their bluffing anyway and will see it as yet another example of adults making threats which they have no intention of carrying out.

not sure what the age ranges involved are but the news report said attendances were up so from the schools point of view its working and they have loads of publicity ( which clearly they wanted as well )

I don't pretend to understand it all it seems a more than a little odd

I don't care if highlighting this has given the school the publicity it wanted - it's all negative publicity and has exposed the school for being unable to get its students to attend without gimicks and a school that fails to reward positive behaviour instead of highlighting negative. Why not make looking after animals in proper housing a reward for attendance?

It's also nonsense that children need to learn that animals die on a living and breathing creature, most life lessons are taught in theory, that's what parents and school is for.

I also fail to see why, if all guinea pig enclosures are too small anyway, that makes any difference? Doesn't that just mean people should be using the opportunity to point this out and maybe ask the school to educate the children how to look after a small animal properly.

Guess it's just one guinea pig though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had this response - I assume they meant to be ironic/sarcastic in the first sentence. :rolleyes:

I thank you for taking the time to find out a little more about the attendance scheme before making a judgement based on a sensationalised report and inappropriate, flippant statements by a young reporter intended to elicit emotional responses. You will surely appreciate and understand the need of children to be given meaningful, regular tasks which many but not all, children experience in their families. In that respect, as a school running such a scheme, we take on a compensatory role.

However, BBC Look North has already been contacted by the school with a complaint about inaccurate and flippant reporting of something we take seriously.

Please be assured, the guinea pigs are fed and watered every day of the week and live in the company of others as we would not tolerate any cruelty to animals. During the week, a group of children is given that particular responsibility and the tasks are overseen by their assigned teacher. At weekends and during the holidays, the guinea pigs are cared for in family homes.

The children concerned have responded very positively to be given a responsible, daily task which many others experience at home. At no time are the animals and their welfare at risk.

Lastly, thank you for your advice on the cage and the bedding. Your comments are appreciated and shared with the students. If you are in the area, please make an appointment to see what actually happens.

I hope this clarifies matters and thank you once again for your concern shown.

I can just feel the animosity...I suspect she isn't really grateful for my concern at all. :laugh:

I agree with Rudi's last post, by the way. :flowers: And I still don't think it's an ideal situation for guinea pigs.

I had the same email yesterday.

I think they must have been inundated with complaints.

That's good to know - I thought it would be a circular. :flowers: I've been googling a bit and the school has a rather chequered past - problems between staff and head, among other issues - and they are no strangers to the media, so they should be well aware of the dangers of allowing the press access to their school.

What she's saying now is they they keep guinea pigs to teach the children about responsibility - which is hardly newsworthy or unique...so they'd be naive to imagine that a newspaper would be interested in it, without an extra "angle" (ie the guinea pig dies if it isn't fed). I've worked in schools, and the Head Teacher would never have permitted publication of any story without seeing the piece first. If the paper refused to accept that, then no story; simple as that.