UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Any Fugees In Lincoln?

Rileyroo

I have, rather unexpectedly this year as I was applying for next year, been offered a place at Lincoln Uni to do an MSc in Clinical Animal Behaviour starting at the end of September.

I'm not sure if it's all going to come together and whether I will be able to start this year, but if I do I will need somewhere to stay on a Monday night during term time. The course is based at the Riseholme campus and I will be coming up from London on the train so where I stay needs to be an easy bus ride from the campus.

Can you suggest areas of Lincoln I should be looking, or websites where I can post what I'm looking for? Ideally I'd like a spare room in someone's house rather than a B&B / hotel.

flowers.gif

I have, rather unexpectedly this year as I was applying for next year, been offered a place at Lincoln Uni to do an MSc in Clinical Animal Behaviour starting at the end of September.

I'm not sure if it's all going to come together and whether I will be able to start this year, but if I do I will need somewhere to stay on a Monday night during term time. The course is based at the Riseholme campus and I will be coming up from London on the train so where I stay needs to be an easy bus ride from the campus.

Can you suggest areas of Lincoln I should be looking, or websites where I can post what I'm looking for? Ideally I'd like a spare room in someone's house rather than a B&B / hotel.

flowers.gif

That'll be me then. :)

I have a friend who works in the Animal Behaviour Unit at the Uni - so will start by asking if she has suggestions.

If you know this already, apologies, but the Riseholme Campus is really on the edge of the City of Lincoln, say around 3 miles from the Station (?) so not exactly "next door" to accommodation - and I'm not at all sure what the bus service will be like.

It's supposed to be a really good place to get into though.

Any questions at all about the area, feel free to ask.

I would have offered you a spare bed to get you started, but have to admit there isn't one spare just now as we are in the midst of upheavaling!

I can offer you a lift from Lincoln Station to your accommodation at the finish of work on a Monday afternoon if that helps.

That'll be me then. smile.gif

I have a friend who works in the Animal Behaviour Unit at the Uni - so will start by asking if she has suggestions.

If you know this already, apologies, but the Riseholme Campus is really on the edge of the City of Lincoln, say around 3 miles from the Station (?) so not exactly "next door" to accommodation - and I'm not at all sure what the bus service will be like.

It's supposed to be a really good place to get into though.

Any questions at all about the area, feel free to ask.

I would have offered you a spare bed to get you started, but have to admit there isn't one spare just now as we are in the midst of upheavaling!

I can offer you a lift from Lincoln Station to your accommodation at the finish of work on a Monday afternoon if that helps.

Aw, bless you Mrs B, that's really kind of you.

I will be there Mondays and Tuesdays so my plan is to get the first train out of Kings Cross every Monday and go straight to college. I kind of assumed that there must be some kind of student bus transport out to the campus that I can use even if there aren't regular buses - but am yet to discover if that is a correct assumption! unsure.gif

I imagine most of the MSc students will be in the same boat looking for somewhere to stay - I'm jumping the gun a little bit as I haven't had a formal offer through just a verbal one from the Prof based on a phone interview but I go on holiday on Thursday and come back the day before enrolement so I'm trying to get things in place so that if (when) the formal offer arrives I'm ready to go the next day.

Is there any part of the city I should avoid when looking for a spare room?

I'm trying to find out about buses up to Riseholme - you are not on a regular bus route - there might be one a day - and then there's the student bus between the campuses - but I'm not sure if that stops anywhere en route.

I'll be honest and say that without your own transport, you are going to be limited on finding places in a private house to stay for one night which are within reach of one of the buses.

Yes, there's always areas of any city which are not as nice as others - although Lincoln's not as bad as some - but I'll probably mention those to you "off Forum" later. :wink:

And I'll come up with any suggestions I can think of where you could 'advertise' too.

From what I can gather on the university's website the student shuttle buses run regularly between the campuses, so in terms of getting to and from the train station it's not too bad as it's only a short walk from one of the campuses where I can get the bus to Riseholme.

Enrolement is only one day so I don't need somewhere to stay that night and it will give me a chance to see what others on the course are doing. I'll also look into B&Bs - they might give me a discount for a regular Monday night booking.

flowers.gif