UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vegan Lunches....

purple_mog

So for some reason I'm eating lots more vegan foood these days, not sure why but its been appealing to me. Anyway I'm looking for lunch ideas :biggrin:

Currently my lunches are usually

left overs from dinner

salad with tuna mayo or salmon with dressing, seeds/nuts, peppers etc

veggie/vegan soup with oatcakes or rye bread, usually with vegan cheese slices or humous and tomatoes or ham (yes real ham!)

rye bread sandwiches - ham and mustard or tuna mayo

I'm not sure how to add protein and interest to my salads if I don't have the ham/tuna/egg etc and much though I love marinated tofu would like someting else to add to it all if poss. And rye bread sandwiches are hard to make interesting without meat/fish I think :unsure:

Yummy ideas please :biggrin:

Oh - actually yesterday I had baked sweet potato with caramelised onion humous - very tasty but odd combo coz was all I had left in the fridge!!!

If you're happy with veggie rather than vegan then quorn do like chicken pieces that you could put in a salad. Have you tried fake meats in your sandwiches? Holland and Barrett sell a range which are vegan. Dave is fairly carnivorous but says they're really good.

well you see the other thing is I try to avoid having too much egg in my diet as its one of the things I can be sensitive too and noticeably feel better when its at a minimum - hence the problem with Quorn :rolleyes:

But shall investigate H&B for vegan 'slices' thankyou :flowers:

Some of my favourites to take to work are:

Salad with mixed beans with a balsamic vinegar dressing.

Salad with vege sausage and marmite croutons (well I like it :wacko: )

Brown rice, courgettes and red onions with mayo

What about a waldorf salad too?

Hiya, sorry not been about much - I've got 'real life' visitors, LOL! My lunches are extremely boring, have to say: sandwiches, instant soup in a mug, piece of fruit and a soya yoghurt for pudding (there's part of your protein :wink:). Morrisons do 'sage and onion slices', and they used to do 'beef' slices as well (they were yum!), both by Redwoods, which you can use like any prepacked cooked meat.

Beans and lentils are a good source of protein too :D

I'll come up with something more exciting later, but meanwhile have a look at this link for ideas: http://www.veganlunchbox.com/recipes.html

The only mock meaty stuff that I like for sandwiches is the redwood foods bacon rashers.

I tried the dairy alternatives but didn't like em at all.

Another alternative to fish/meat is to use grains like lentils, couscous, quinoa. You can make really nice salads with these and they are an alternative source of protein.

When in London I sometimes like to treat myself with a superfood salad from Leon. It isn't hard to make yourself one at home either. You need quinoa, cucumber, peas, avocado, alfalfa sprouts and a lemon juice/olive oil dressing. The Leon one also has feta in it. Would go nice with a bit of rye bread.