UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

So Ingipops

Mommy Bear

Daddy Bear spent yesterday in Edinburgh attending a series of lectures on 'stronomy 'n stuff. Lo and behold who did he meet but INGIPOPS (long time no see Ingi lots of luv to you Tommy and Keelah too). Anyhoo while they engaged in animated conversation John Brown, Astronomer Royal for Scotland and acquaintance of DB (don't know which makes him more famous) came rushing over to greet Ingi and her companion.

When it came time for JB, ARfS, to address the gathering he paid tribute to his astronomical mentor and welcomed that great man's grand-daughters to the lectures.

So Ingi, fess up, and tell us about Grandad .

:rolleyes:

Yeh! What a surprise to see DB in Edinburgh! :laugh: He looks so slim since I saw him last Sandy!! :laugh: !

My Grampa Eddie was an amateur astromer, photographer and lens maker, a very eccentric character who met with a very terrible end some 30 years ago :mecry: !

However he showed John Brown (the astronomer royal) how to make his first telescope and fired the then 10 year old Johns enthusiasm by telling him tales of the stars and planets. John attributes his entire interest in astronomy to Eddie, which is quite an accolade indeed

A few years ago my Grampa's death made the papers again (despite the fact it was 30 years ago) and whilst browsing for press stuff I came across an article by John mentioning my Grampa. Since then John and I have been in contact by email and phone, reminiscing and chatting about a wonderful (albeit completely batty!)man who we both loved dearly :wub:

A few weeks ago we met for the first time and spent a lovely evening chatting which is when John invited me to Saturdays event!

I really enjoyed the day, and was delighted to also meet with 2 other leading astronomers who spoke very highly of my Grampa! :wub:

Tell DB if I bump into him again I'll give him all the gossip that I've left off here! :laugh: :laugh: