UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mud Fever

reds

Vet came today and it was the same one who saw him for his ear so that was nice. Said to leave him in for about 2 weeks and that it wasn't 'simple' mudfever (spot a theme here :laugh: ) due to it only being on his white feet. He was talking about the photosensitivity theory or it being something they ingest...

Anyway, his advice was to wash everyday and apply antibiotic and anti-inflam. cream twice a day, same as he had for his ear. We had a load of road stone delivered for the trough and gate areas in the field today so Duke had a nice bucking, bronking and rolling session in the yard whilst it was being hoisted! I'm going to be very very brave and take him for a walk in-hand down the lane tomorrow morning - wish us luck!

Squeaky is refusing to go down to the bottom half of the field where the best of the grass is because he has to be near Duke, so he is happily tucking into haylage too. Good job Christmas shopping was done on a budget!

Merry Christmas to all of you :GroupHug:

Well it could be photosensitivity but its winter so unlikely it would be buttercups or bracken. Its likely he just got wet legs and pink skin is always more aggro.

We did it, we went walkies :biggrin: Took an hour so was a bit like going for a ride! We walked home to have a snack of apple and carrots from MomandDad Services before having a jog home (well one of us was jogging and it certainly wasn't me :rolleyes: :laugh: ). I was thinking of gifting him to the circus at one point :wub: Did the job though and he is now resting contented in his stable :wub:

Thank you for all the suggestions, think I'll be applying with gloves on though!

I'm really pleased with how quickly it all seems to be healing (touching mucho wood) and with it having stayed dry he's been allowed a nibble from the edge of the Summer field before I wash his feet in the morning, so Dr Green is still in circulation for the ol' mental health! :wink: I'd forgotten how expensive it is to buy the bedding and haylage :wacko:

Another walkies in the morning and then as soon as we're all clear think I'm going to have to relent and put shoes back on him. I don't really want to as his feet (i.e. hoof walls) are in much better condition without but if it helps.....