UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Reduced Appetite Post Op

Guest Vikinggirl

Guest Vikinggirl

Hello

Lucy was spayed on Friday.

She has a neat little scar on her belly, there is quite a lot of bruising to the belly but I have no worries about that as it isn't spreading, her tummy is soft, the wound is clean and healing well and there is no sign of infection whatsoever. All of that is a huge relief.

However, her appetite is immensely reduced. She is having warm milk in the morning as usual and enjoying that, but her lunch has been untouched for 3 days now, (Chappie and mixer), whilst she eats her tea - picks out the sardines and tomato but leaves the meal. Very happy to have biscuits, or chocs or chews at the times she normally would, and we did some clicker training earlier today and she wolved her treats and trained very well.

she is peeing fine, her poo is normal (bit odd colour but the nurse said the anaesthetic would affect it that way), her nose and eyes are bright, she is lively and happy. But I am worried about her loss of appetite - I understand that after spaying her meals should be reduced a little as her metabolism slows down, and this was in the written after care instructions from the vet too.

Will this just settle back to normal - I am a born worrier but don't want to bundle her off to the vets ifit is normal and to be expected after an op.

Thanks in advance :flowers:

Guest patch

She sounds like everything is normal in all other departments so I would not be too worried, some dogs can take a little longer than others to regain appetite.

The need for less food after neutering is absolutely correct, and I would say at this point she might actually be self regulating her need better then most dogs. If she is picking out some of her main meal but not other bits, I would not give her the `extras` in it for now, or at most use some liquid from them as a flavouring. Perhaps crumble a cracker or a few treats that she likes [ crumble finely so she cant just pick them out ], onto her food and perhaps add a spoonful of marge and smear it on - both of those can be tempting to a dog who needs a little encouragement to eat their main food.

I would suggest, for a couple of days, using her normal food only as the treats for her clicker training so that you know she is getting a little more of the right nutrients ?

So long as her weight stays stable, and her eyes / coat / demeanour / energy levels / poop remain normal, I wouldnt worry too much, plus she will be having her stitches out soon so you can monitor her for any ups or downs to mention to the vet [ and to take her in if things dont seem right before then of course ].

Only one teeny weeny tut tut, milk really is not suitable for dogs [ or cats ] so unless it is heavily watered down she might well like it, but she doesnt need it :wink:

I`m rotten to my lot, none of them get any milk at all [ of any variety ], and they are`nt doing fridge raids for it :) Seriously though, milk can be quite filling so even a single bowl a day might be holding her appetite back a little from her proper dinner - just a thought which I hope you wont take the wrong way :flowers:

Guest Vikinggirl

Thanks Patch for your advice :flowers:

She has tonight eaten a little more and seemed a little more enthusiastic about it all too!!! :)

I haven't taken any offence whatsoever, and am always very open to guidance and advice..... why is milk not good?? She only gets a drop and does love it, and I suppose I thought it would mean she was getting some calcium and other nutriments........ I wouldn't purposefully give her anything harmful..... do you mind explaining why to me if you have time pls?

thanks again :flowers:

Guest patch

Great to hear she has eaten a bit better this evening :-) :-)

The milk thing, it contains lactose which many mogs and dogs are intollerant to and can in some cases cause awful runny tums. All the calcium they need should already be in their food be it tinned with mixer or complete, plus a lot of treats have added calcium as well.

A couple of articles for you :

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...&articleid=1183

http://www.petwalk.com/articles/Stop_the_milk.htm

A lot of people do give milk, some a tiny bit, some a lot, and see no illeffects, but personally I avoid giving it altogether to be on the safe side :)

Very relieved I did`nt come over as being too pushy, I`m not the best at getting things over at times :rolleyes:

Guest Vikinggirl

:flowers:

thanks for the articles.

I haven't given her any this am - she is too disgusted with me for getting her up early today when she had a late night to have noticed!!!! :laugh:

I may look for one of the milks that has had lactose removed if it appears that she is missing it, otherwise I will look for an alternative brekkie for her.

thanks again Patch, very much appreciated. :flowers: