UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Radio One Now!

Natpants

thankyou for reminding me! Radio 2 had something similar on about 7am when I was making doglets breakfast, shall go and email.

my email :) thanks to Claz etc for the figures in one of the contro threads!

Dear Sarah and team, I listen to your show every morning as I get up, walk and feed my dogs and generally wake up to the world. I often notice that Sarah describes herself as an animal lover and was pleased to hear her condemnation of bullfighting this morning.

Imagine my surprise therefore, when during the newspaper review she mentioned that Walthamstow racetrack was closing and how very sad she was. I can only presume that Sarah does not fully understand the greyhound racing industry and the immeasurable suffering it causes to thousands of dogs every year. I wish to highlight the simplest of statistics but should you be interested in further information please see the website of Greyhound Action among others.

Every year about 1 in 4 greyhounds bred make it to the track (that's from the industry published pups bred and the dogs racing each year stats) which means around 40,000/35,000pa are bred in the UK and Ireland. Of these around 10,000 (25%) of them will be any good - therefore the industry has a shortfall and 7500 dogs end up dead/needing homes. And that’s before we even think about the fate of a 'retired' racer. There simply are not enough homes to cope with this number of dogs.

I trust this information will be useful to Sarah and perhaps encourage her to rethink her position on greyhound racing. I for one am overjoyed that this so called 'sport' is in decline.

Best wishes

Morag Heirs

York, UK.

Good email Mog!

I'd copy that word for word to send to Radio One except that Chris Moyles is an animal-hating nobber :rolleyes: I have no idea why I still listen to his show, as he's not even a humorous nobber. :wacko:

Wonder if they read my text out? I had to switch the radio off after I sent it. Probably did and took the pee out of it!