UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Making A Will.......

Tempest

Personally I'd avoid the "do it yourself" type wills - even with a straight forward one it's too easy to make a mistake which could prove complicated in years to come.

I belong to an organisation which happens to have one perk which is a really really cheap will drafting service - so worth check union/memberships of organisations to see if anything you belong to qualifies you.

Apart from that, if you know roughly what you want, it would definitely be worth ringing a few firms of solicitors and asking them to quote - and let them know you're checking around the opposition! Worked for someone I know. And yes, it's worth looking out for the "Make a Will for a charity donation" too.

One personal warning. I would personally never, ever, ever appoint a firm of solicitors in my will as executors to my estate, no matter how complicated I thought it might be for my family. If a firm of solicitors are appointed, there is no way they will "let go" of the business - and their services do not come cheap (at least £100 for an hour's work) and you will be charged for everything they do - even if you could do it yourself! And at the time, you may not even be in the same town as the solicitors who are the executors. Far better to appoint someone or more than one person. family or friend that you trust - and they can decide at the time whether they need the help of a solicitor, and if so who they want to use.

I can get more info. for you if you like, will ask my Dad what they do and the costs. I'd guess that will be roughly the same for all the same types of company (if that makes sense!). Will also ask him what he'd advise to avoid etc...

I can get more info. for you if you like, will ask my Dad what they do and the costs. I'd guess that will be roughly the same for all the same types of company (if that makes sense!). Will also ask him what he'd advise to avoid etc...

That would be fab if you didn't mind reds :flowers: