UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Cage Advice

yena

Well Dilys comes to live with us on the 24th August, she will be caged on a night, mainly because Molly, is one big fat hairy lump and I don't want her standing on her :rolleyes: . I've never used a dog cage before, so I need loads and loads of advice on now to make it a happy environment for Dilys. I heard feeding her in the cage and leaving the door open duing the day, so she can come in and out when she wants, will help, any more advice please.

Just a photo update, goD knows which one is Dilys :unsure: My little rescue puppy :wub: :wub:

0279c88a.jpg

I've always had a new arrival crated in our bedroom for the first few nights/weeks (depends on age and house training). I would especially do this with a new pup, that way I know when they need to go out as I really don't want them to learn to mess in their crate.

As the pup grows and is able to hold on I would gradually move them out of my room, and downstairs with the others. By this time they should be happy to sleep in the crate with no issues.

Feeding in the crate is good, also doing little "training sessions" where they get popped in few a very short while (maybe only a few seconds depends on the dogs reaction) and I usually post treats through the top of the crate when they are quiet and settled in there. I also pop my youngsters in a crate when they are over the top - it usually means they are overtired when they are young, and most of the time once they've calmed down they fall asleep.

Might be worth having a special toy/chew that the dog only gets when they are shut in the crate too.

if any of my rescues

need a crate they always lie on vet bed over newspaper (in case of accidents) and they have a chew bone and a toy to snuggle up to.I also put pups in my bedroom to start with, it stops them getting into the habit of crying and scratching at the cage. x

When I was training my pup to use the crate she got a treat whenever she went in. She still does and on occasions the other dogs will lie in the crate and wait for a treat!

When I tell her to go in her crate now, (which is not often) she will walk to the door, stop, turn around and look at the treat jar and wait for me to get one out. She then happily walks in!

When she was getting used to the crate, she had her blanket, toys, chews and a water bowl in there so it was nice and cosy and her 'den'. She went in for a few minutes at first and I gradually increased the time she spent in there. During the day the door was left open and she would often take herself in for a rest.