UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Medical Question

ailsas mum

My son who's just become a dad for the first time has the dreaded peanut allergy, he is also allergic to all kinds of pulses. His partner wasn't allowed to eat any of the things he has a reaction to in case it affected the baby. Does anyone know how soon a baby can be tested for allergies, no one has spoken to them about it yet.

Terri

I'm not sure. Skin testing and RAST ( blood testing) is inaccurate as children can react to the skin test but not to a peanut challenge . This is where they are brought into hospital and given tests with nuts gradually, starting with touching some, then touching to the lips and then to the tongue and then eating some with careful waiting and watching between each stage for a reaction. In most children it is not worth performing allergy tests until they have come into previous contact with the food but peanuts may be a slightly different case in that there are often small nut traces in lots of food. The recommendations are to avoid peanuts until aged 4-5 in kids who have parents with bad nut allergy so I'm not sure what allergy testing at a young age will achieve as it won't necessarily tell u the severity of allergy accurately and avoidance is recommended. hope that helps a bit.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn11859

Edited by alexis

Hi Alexis sorry I've not replied I've not been on for a couple of days.

She's not feeding him herself so that's not a problem, the one they're most worried about is if like my son Xander is going to be allergic to peas.

Thank you for taking time to answer it's much appreciated :flowers: .

Terri