UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Weight Gain?

cocoa

I think it's far too easy to blame the owner when dogs are faced with this problem. I would definitely go with the vets and see what more investigations can be done. How many grammes is he having? Ted. is my fine collie and he has 120g a day kibble. The recommended amount on the bags would be about triple or quadruple that.

If you can give him an EXACT amount each day and keep a diet sheet for him -i.e. everything that he has to eat then that gives you amunition to take to the vets and backs your case for a medical reason for his weight and might make them take it more seriously. I would cut out the rice and stick to the kibble and veg.

Deffo good to get a 2nd opinion and ask while you are there if a full check was done on his bloods. I've realised that my vets haven't done a proper check on Issie's blood when they have been taking it and she does have an under-active thyroid!

I believe that in this country blood testing for thyroid function is based on the human test which isn't entirely applicable to dogs and can therefore give misleading results. Vets don't always realise that.

Jean Dodds in the US is the one to refer to for a full test and I don't think it costs any more than a lab test here.

Pam