UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Greyhound Breeder Offers Slow Dogs To Be Killed For Research

Annie

Another piece of investigative journalism from Daniel Foggo of the Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/c...icle3908388.ece

Here's a small piece of the article

The largest breeder of greyhounds in Britain is offering to sell healthy young dogs to be killed and dissected for research, an investigation has found.

Charles Pickering told an undercover reporter that his breeding programme continually throws up dozens of “fit and healthy” dogs that are “just a bit too slow for the tracks” and therefore a financial burden to him.

Pickering, who offered to sell them for £30 each, said he was helping to supply dogs to the animal teaching hospital at Liverpool University.

He provides yearling greyhounds to Richard Fielding, a greyhound trainer, who gives his older dogs for free to university veterinary staff, who put them to sleep and remove organs for teaching and research.

edited to add link

Edited by Annie

Its bad enough knowing what individuals can be capable of, but when legitimate institutions (who make money from helping animals) acquiesce with this abborrent practise, it fills me with despair.

Another sad day for the beautiful greyhound, unfortunately there have been too many of these.

:mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

What I find so distressing is looking at my boy right now lying on the sofa sleeping like any other pet dog and thinking that there but for the grace of God - or in his case the Greyhound Awareness League, and responsible owners who cared about his future.

How can anyone differentiate between the rights of him and, say for example a Lab?

CNV00013.jpg