UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Chins/degus Anyone?

KathyM

How cack am I for not replying sooner? Sorry, been stuck with hospital tests and college work. :blush02:

Cilla's doing really well, although we're certain she's pining for a friend. I know it sounds mad but sometimes it's as if she stops to play with/talk to someone then realises they're not there. So we're now officially hunting for a friend for her. She's made some seriously odd honking noises (like bagpipes sucking air in, or like a goose) a couple of times but other than that has been silent. I think that's the contact noise mentioned on here (and it mentions it meaning they're lonely too :( ). http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/kontkt_e.htm

I've got my eye on a couple of cages on eBay, but if they fall through I'm going to get an Explorer for the rats and keep her in the Samo with a load more wooden shelves so as to get rid of the plaggy ones (which she still hasn't touched by the way!).

As for feeding, she's quite picky but in the opposite way as I imagined she'd be. We've started adding a small amount of the Science Selective to the Charlie Chinchilla to start weaning her. She's now turning her nose up at the Charlie Chinchilla and is going mad for the Science Selective - not sure what to do for the best there? No runny poos or anything, so at least she's ok there. She's just leaving the Charlie Chinchilla. Saying that, it could be that she was always fussy with that?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know which noise you mean. It can often be because theyre startled (when i first got chins i used to go in when they did this noise and they would all sit looking innocent and do it again when i left the room....i gave up...!! :rolleyes: :laugh: ). I think chins are sociable animals, so would definelty consider getting her a friend to keep her company. Luckily all mine took to each other, so i dont have any on theyre own and makes me feel happier knowing they have someone to snuggle up with and play with when im not there :wub:

Good luck with the cages, ebay is a great place to grab a bargain cage :biggrin:

I dont know about the science selective as ive never used it ( as i say i used charnwoods then the Henry Bell ones easily available at pets at home), hopefully Sproggie may be able to enlighten you on it. Its good thats shes off the Charlie Chinchilla, anything has to be better than that! :rolleyes:

Chins are addictive little things arent they!! :wink: :wub: :wub:

Good news that she prefers the Supreme Science Selective over the CC :biggrin: I know a few people that use it and its ideal for those with a small number of chins as readily available at quite a few pet shops :biggrin:

Ingredients

Alfalfa, soya & soya hulls, wheat and wheat feed, locust bean

meal, parsley (2.5%), plantain (2.5%), linseed (2%), soya oil,

lysine, salt, methionine, choline, vitamins and minerals.

Analysis

Protein 16% Vitamin A 10,000 IU/kg

Oil 3% Vitamin D3 1,000 IU/kg

Fibre 19% Vitamin E 50 mg/kg

Ash 7%

Calcium 0.8%

Phosphorus 0.4%

Copper 10mg/k

RRP £5.29

Thanks Linda - I was concerned because a member of another board said I wasn't allowed to change her onto a new food yet. I started by giving it as treats but then realised she was seriously selective feeding on the CC - am I okay to start seriously weaning her onto the Science Selective now? I'm worried about her not eating otherwise (although she is eating hay so that's good).

No news on a companion for her sadly - feeling a bit despondent about it to be honest as it's becoming very clear she's pining for company. :( If anyone knows of a chin needing a home that might be suitable we'd really appreciate the heads up as we're ready to adopt now. :GroupHug: ETA: We would consider a pair/group instead if that's a possible introduction.

Edited by KathyM

Thanks Linda - I was concerned because a member of another board said I wasn't allowed to change her onto a new food yet. I started by giving it as treats but then realised she was seriously selective feeding on the CC - am I okay to start seriously weaning her onto the Science Selective now? I'm worried about her not eating otherwise (although she is eating hay so that's good).

I start to wean all the chins that come into me on CC asap . I start by adding say 30% of the new food, then over a number of weeks gradually increase the amount of the pellets for eg; week one 70/30, week 2 60/40% and so on this then prevents any possible tummy upsets . Although I have found some chins do prefer their new food and so wean themselves , I tend to add a bit of probiotics to the water if this happens more to be on the safe side top be honest :biggrin:

To be quite honest if you adopt a new friend for Cilla , the new chin should be kept in quarantine for a few weeks anyway so it could take you a while before she has company . I would just make sure she has lots of attention and playtimes, though not long ones when it is warm :biggrin:

Quick question - what should I set the upper age limit for for a "baby" girl as a companion? Am I looking for one that is baby enough to be significantly lower than her in the pecking order (given she's only one)? I have had an offer of an 8 month old and I'm not sure if that's too old (she's bigger than Cilla).

This is proving much harder than we hoped to be honest. We personally don't want to grace the pet industry with money for farmed animals, but our lack of transport limits us hugely, especially when there are no suitable candidates in rescue nearby.

I'm wondering if in this scenario it's better to adopt some goos after all, so at least she gets some company? It seems like a knockback at every turn otherwise. I don't know what breeders I can or can't trust and noone seems to really want to help thanks to me not fitting in :(

Can you define "quarantine" for me Linda? Obviously it can't be achieved in the same airspace (ie. the same house), and I'm not sure how it can be achieved elsewhere? :flowers:

Generally acceptable in a seperate room, washing hands between going between them and all the other usual precautions (not mixing sand etc) roughly around 6weeks :biggrin:

Quick question - what should I set the upper age limit for for a "baby" girl as a companion? Am I looking for one that is baby enough to be significantly lower than her in the pecking order (given she's only one)? I have had an offer of an 8 month old and I'm not sure if that's too old (she's bigger than Cilla).

This is proving much harder than we hoped to be honest. We personally don't want to grace the pet industry with money for farmed animals, but our lack of transport limits us hugely, especially when there are no suitable candidates in rescue nearby.

I'm wondering if in this scenario it's better to adopt some goos after all, so at least she gets some company? It seems like a knockback at every turn otherwise. I don't know what breeders I can or can't trust and noone seems to really want to help thanks to me not fitting in :(

TBH, its more the nature of the chin than the age. Ive matched up chins that are 4,5 years old because they have a good accepting nature. Somtimes it can take a long time to have them accepting each other, as you have to go so slowly.

Ask if this girlie has been with other chins before, how she is a chin (happy, grumpy, holdable (which gives indication of any skitiness), etc), whether you can have a "trial" period may be good as you can see if they will get on, and always have the back up of knowing she has a place to go to if it doesnt work out.

Sorry you feel like not fitting in, i know how that feels, but it hopefully it shouldnt stop you finding a friend for Cilla :GroupHug: :flowers:

HTH :biggrin:

Thank you so much for your help. :GroupHug:

We know that Cilla's used to living with others. One of the potential candidates had lived with other girls until now too, unfortunately that seems to have fallen through. Another offer has been of a breeder's girl, 8 months old, no other real info except a pic and an offer to discuss things, but I really don't want to let anyone down if I haven't checked out the obvious first.

It seems no matter where you go, like with dogs and cats and rats and fish and everything, one person will tell you one thing and another will be adamant of the opposite. It's so hard to work out what's useful info to be honest. It's not very easy to break into the "in" crowd in any area I know. But that's life - not everyone has to like everyone, as long as it doesn't have a detrimental effect on Cilla. :)

As Claire ( willowisp )has said the quarantine area should be a totally seperate room for a minimum of 6 weeks ( things like gardia and ringworm can take a few weeks to show) I always keep everything I need for that chin/s in the room with them and clean them out after the other chins so there is no possibility of 'carrying' any infection to the other furrballs

I'm wondering if in this scenario it's better to adopt some goos after all, so at least she gets some company? It seems like a knock back at every turn otherwise. I don't know what breeders I can or can't trust and noone seems to really want to help thanks to me not fitting in :(

It does depend on the nature of the chin , whilst some feel a younger female is easier to introduce I have also introduced chins of various ages to one another taking anywhere between 3 weeks to 4 months . I personally feel you get a much better intro if you take it at the chins pace and swop cages/ sand baths etc over a number of weeks before doing a supervised playtime .

However there is never any guarantees with any introduction be it a castrated male , older or younger female as some chins do sometimes simply decide they do not like one another :rolleyes:

Personally I have never been a part of any 'in crowd' so could not comment on that as I have always been outspoken . I have always called 'a spade a spade' and what you get is what you see with me.

As I said on another forum I cannot consider you for adoption of a single female from me as I do not have one at the moment .

I cannot comment on others opinions of caring for chins I follow what I have learnt in over 11 yrs and my interest is in the chins welfare and ensuing the best possible care for the chins I have , be they my own or the many rehomes/ rescues we take in :biggrin:

Edited by lindaO

Well still no luck finding her a companion but I suppose she will always get spoiled with us in the meantime, no matter how long it takes. So much so I just bought that huge corner cage I showed earlier in the thread. :rolleyes:

She'll bloomin' love that. Hope it goes some way towards taking her mind off her missing friends.