UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Goldfish Cured

Tisaann

For a couple of day's now it seem's that Fred our goldfish has been having trouble swiming downwards in his tank. It's as if he has to hold his breath to go down and then after a very short while rush up to the surface and gulp in some air'. Then 2 nights ago We saw him on his back and thought he was dead but upon closer inspection his mouth was still moving. My first instinct was to ask hubby to put it out of it's misery as it clearly wasn't going to live. Now only ever having seen dead fish disposed of as a child was to flush it down the loo but because I was going in the bath and wanted a wee first I didn't want to be sitting there and have the fish suddenly appear round the S bend and bite me :wacko: so I said nothing. However, when I came out of the bath the fish had righted itself but was staying put at the top and barely moving. This happened again last night so I went on the web and typed in 'upside down fish' and it came up with Swim Bladder Disease and the symptoms were the same as Fred's. One of the cures, well the only one apart from getting the water conditions right, was to not feed it fish food for 1 day and to give it some PEAS. :ohno02: which I did and though I chopped them up small I didn't expect them to be eaten which they were and the amazing thing is.....Fred is back to being a normal up/down swimming fish. I find this incredable and would never have believed it had I not seen it for myself. Anyone else heard of this?