UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Special Appeal

Harry and Munchkin were born here nearly a year ago.

Their Mum's were amongst 600 Egyptian Spiny Mice who were rescued from one home where they had been allowed to breed out of all control. My allotment arrived on the 4th February last year, many of them with half tails, chewed ears and even missing limbs. But also with plenty of spirit and enthusiasm for life despite their shaky start. Once all the girls had had their final litters of babies I'd taken in 99 altogether. I didn't think we'd ever find homes for them all.

Some of the newborns didn't make it in all the disruption and some of the old and battered ones lived out their days here but we managed to find homes for 85 of them :)

Harry and Munchkin are the last remaining two. Both were born early March and were paired up with older boys who had been bullied by their cagemates. Both lived happily with their cagemates for about 6 months before they fell out big time. Since then both have been living alone. Spiny Mice are pretty territorial and adult intros are rarely successful. Given the damage they caused to their friends I decided not to risk trying to introduce them to other mice. Their cages are next to each other here so they do at least get to have little spiny chats through the bars whilst still having their own space :)

I'd so love for these boys to find a home. They're ok here - safe, fed and cared for - but it's not the same as having a home of your own. It's so sad to think of their 1st birthdays approaching next month and them still being little mousey refugees :( What would be perfect would be to find them a home willing to take both and keep them living side by side so they can still have their little chats through the bars if they want to.

Both are friendly and easy to handle but quite independent so won't demand a lot from you. They just want a nice sized cage each, plenty of toys, good food and a bit of love and care. Although they are an exotic species, spiny mice are very easy to care for.

If you could offer these boys their first and last home please email me :)

Munchkin

spiny-munchkin.jpg

Harry (in the foreground)

spiny-harryandmarcus.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...