UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Melton Mowbray

Alison

Further to my post re. working trials, here are a couple of very good pet-friendly B&Bs which are nearby (about 2 miles away). The accommodation really is lovely.

Even if you're not interested in the working trials, this area is a great place for a hol with your hound at any time of the year; the only fault I can find with it is a lack of coastline! Lots of lovely woodland and fields though and all right on the doorstep of the lodgings shown.

New Farm Cottage

Sycamore Farm

Don't take any nonsense about weekly rates or anything (e.g. if you just want to stay overnight or for a weekend). I know the Stanley family who own the properties - they're farmers and everything is negotiable! :laugh: PM me if you need Sol to have words on your behalf :wink:

Further to the above, 5 mins away by car is The Red Lion, award winning gastro pub and an extremely dog-friendly establishment. We're not just talking small quiet terrier under a bar stool tolerance either - I visit this place regularly with Sol and his Irish Wolfhound girlfriend Shade and she's not a little gal to say the least!

I love the area but we stayed in Rutland Water in the summer and even pestering Mrs Oook couldn't find any places to walk the dogs off lead without sheep etc :( We stayed at Stapleford Hall and lovely although it was the lack of good walks slightly marred the visit :(

Oh phooey. I suspect that Mrs (now Ms) Oook was just too preoccupied at the time, and quite understandably so, to pester to her her full glorious ability. I brook no argument from farmers and walk Sol off-lead there all the time, at least once every fortnight/three weeks.

So lovely and such a favourite spot that I chose to take him there to celebrate his first Gotcha Day coz we enjoy sailing together and he likes to swim (bizarrely, I'm not officially allowed to swim :wacko: but of course I do :laugh: )

DSCF1986.jpg

The photo was taken right in the middle of a field full of sheep. Sweet talk the farmer (or get me to do it for you) and you'll get away with anything :wink:

If you're not brave enough for that, there are some really good alternative walks in the vicinity which I can recommend. If anyone is interested I'll post the OS Pathfinder maps here.

Two good lunch (or overnight) stops for anyone fancying Rutland are:

The Falcon Hotel in Uppingham.

about_us_ian_MVC-001F(3).jpg

See the guy posing by the front door? He's the owner. See the flower tubs? Sol's favourite peeing spots! :laugh: Lovely big lounge here with a huge log fire burning during the winter months.

I hear tell that "the pub next door to the Church" is also dog-friendly although I've not been there. Also worth mentioning for those of a religious persuasion that dogs are welcome in the Church at Uppingham. :flowers:

There's a tea shop across the road which welcomes dogs too, although it's tiny. I can't remember what it's called but if you Google LE15 9PY you might find it.

The Whipper-in in Oakham is also a good place to stop by with your dawg(s) for a cream tea.