UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Clicker Training Books/dvd

ReikiAnge

Hello clicker peeps. I have renewed my interest in clicker training and am wondering what books/DVDs etc. are recommended. I don't have a video player, just DVD.

I have ordered Karen Pryor's Clicker Training for Dogs, so should have that in a few days. Will this one do me for a while?

I have seen the Clicker Train Your Dog DVD on the Crosskeys site http://www.crosskeysbooks.com/product_info...products_id=551 - does anyone know if that's any good?

I like Learning About Dogs I like their ethos and their books and DVDs are excellent. Their clicker training courses and workshops are also superb and i wish I had more free time and money.....

I'm pretty sure that on Karen Pryors site you can download videos and clips - some are free, some you have to pay for. yes here. You can also download some of the Learning about dogs stuff not sure if it's any cheaper though.

Personally i don't rate Clicker Training for Dogs much - it doesn't really go into much depth or explain things very well. Her Don't Shoot the Dog is far better, but more general rather than just clicker training per se. Although I've just checked it on her site and it seems to be very different to my version of Clicker Traning for Dogs so ignore me :wacko:

For beginner type books I like; Click for Joy (Melissa Alexander), Clicking with your Dog (Peggy Tillman), and The Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training (Pam Dennison). If pushed I would say that the Complete Idiots.... is the best of the three.

I have tons and tons of clicker books, so if you would like to borrow one before deciding let me know. I *will* want it back though as I refer to them a lot (and I've already had to replace a few as some people just keep them :glare: ) :flowers:

Oh I also have the Clicker train your dog DVD - somewhere, but I haven't watched it yet :blush02: . Will do so tonight and report back if you like.

Thank you :flowers: I shall admit to impatience :blush: and say I have already got the video, haven't watched it yet as it only arrived today, but I'll watch it later or sometime over the w/end. I also have Don't Shoot the Dog.

Thanks for your offer to lend me books but I have a fair few books to get through at the mo, so don't want to be borrowing anyone else's and hogging them :flowers: but I would like to know what ones you have and think are good, when you have the chance, so I can look them up :) I've read about the Click for Joy and complete idiots books and will add them to my Christmas wish list.

I will take a look at the links too - thank you :flowers:

i've got karen pryor's book. it's a bit on the thin side but it's ok to start you off with the basics. you're probably a bit more advanced than that, though ange.

i just taught my dog a new trick - fetch your bowl !!

we're in the process of refining it but she picked up the basics in 2 minutes !!

i think i get more enjoyment from watching her work out what she did to get the click than from the actual trick itself !!

i really should do more clicker training with her cos she's a quick learner and she enjoys doing it.

Thank you - no rush, I have plenty of reading to do and no money left at the mo :laugh: but it would be good to know about other stuff.

What college course are you doing? Sorry, I know you've said before :blush:

Thanks for your help :flowers:

I'm on the 2nd year now of the Bishop Burton Foundation degree in Canine behaviour and Training :flowers: Infact I'm up there this weekend for our first practical sessions of the new school year :biggrin: It is tough fitting it all in around a full time job and home life, but well worth it. I'm really enjoying it and Khanu has come on really well the last year. I just hate travelling up on a Friday night after work :glare: