UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Experience Of Dogs On Virgin Trains?

MissMagic

We took Clive on Virgin trains a few times last year before we got a car and never had any trouble. The best seats to get are the ones with longer legroom - gives the dog space to lie down by your feet and not in the corridor. They tend to be in each coach, towards on end.

We took Clive on Virgin trains a few times last year before we got a car and never had any trouble. The best seats to get are the ones with longer legroom - gives the dog space to lie down by your feet and not in the corridor. They tend to be in each coach, towards on end.

no experience of dogs but have taken my rats in a cat carrier loads of times and had staff want a cuddle! Never had a problem and they often get a packet of biscuits so it would seem there are some pet friendly staff!

I used to take my old dog on Virgin Trains all the time. The staff were always fine about it. I used to look for the wheelchair seats, because there was plenty of space for him to lie down (obviously I would have moved if someone in a wheelchair needed it!) I also used to watch out for the cheap first class upgrades, it was often only £10 or so more on the London/Liverpool route, and then we had loads of space.

The only problem I had was that my dog discovered that if he stood up under the table he was at just the right height to thieve things out of the food bags as people came back from the buffet carriage. First I knew about it was when I caught him scoffing a bacon roll he'd snaffled. I thought someone must have dropped it until the next person past caught him in the act. Thankfully they saw the funny side, but I was mortified.

Rocky and I have travelled on trains a few times, i go for the table seats as with none table seats he tends to get under the seat and then casually lick the ankle of the person behind/in front of us... rarely goes down well.

The only thing is, people are less and less accustomed to seeing dogs on trains, ive taken to having Rocky sat on the seat next to me whenever the train stops, because even if i SAY 'be careful there is a dog under the table' people just dont hear me, i think they switch their ears off - then of course they react in sheer horror at discovering that, as i have said, there is indeed a dog.... under the table... omg...

At least if he is up on the seat by me at stops (with a blankie on the seat of course), people can see him, choose to sit there knowing htere is a dog there, or choose to sit elsewhere (or just do an extremely rude comedy double take and stare, in the manner of person who has seen a little green alien on a train...).

Beware of the business commuter, eating a sammich very vaguely whilst on the phone or laptop... they wave these sandwhiches around to emphasise conversation or because they are weird, and a lot of dogs just dont GET random seemingly unwanted food waved around at nose level. Rocky has succumbed to temptation more than once when a sandwhich was waved right under his nose too slowly....