UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Am Really P'eed Off With My Vets

tegk68

Aggie had a reaction of sorts on her tum over night on Friday. Went bright pink in places with pustules. So Saturday morning when I noticed I went straight to our vets. I said I thought it was an allergic reaction to something, although I'm no expert. I also siad I thought it might be nettles as she'd been boinging around in them that afternnon/evening after her football. He took a quick look and went ooh and ahh and said he thought it could be. So he packs me off with some pills and shampoo and says not to worry.

On Saturday night her tum goes sort of brown black in places but doesn't seem to bother her. Then on Sunday the skin starts flaking off and I am worried about it cracking as it looks pink and dry. So thanks to kind people on here I administer, am still am either sudocreme or E45 and that has done wonders.

Was still thinking of taking her back to the vets this morning but when I get up it all looks much better. Tonight however I go for another walk and despite my efforts to avoid the nettles as I am sure they are the culprit, as I told the vet, she boings after a pheasent and launches straight into a rogue patch of the bl00dy things. Now her tum is bright red and starting to get lumpy :mecry: . I have put more E45 on but it is obviously the cause of her problems and is an alleric reaction to the bl00dy things.

I feel really cross about this situation but maybe I shouldn't

THANK YOU for wading through all of this! :flowers:

only just seen this - phoenix is exactly the same - she boings after pheasants, deer, rabbits allsorts in the woods and comes back with raised bumps , lumps and then after a few days gets puss filled spots on her belly and inside of legs. She then gets the grey flaky skin stuff - i put dermosol on which clears it up pretty quick - hope aggie is ok :flowers:

its very satisfying getting all the puss out of the spots thou.........thats not something i should admit to is it.....

Edited by phoenix21

It can be difficult with skin problems to get a definitive diagnosis. The shampoo should help soothe itching. Many dogs do not respond to piriton at all so it doesn't always help. Skin can very easily become infected after an infection ( particularly if there are blisters that burst) or blisters can be due to infection ( charlie had pyoderma as a puppy which was pus filled blisters and is an infection). Maybe the vet was hedging his bets if he wasn't sure of the diagnosis or covering with antibiotics incase the blisters got infected? Might be worth asking next time u go? I would avoid E45 as it isn't a particularly good moisturiser and some people ( so I'm presuming this goes for dogs too) can become allergic to the ingredients, particularly the lanolin in it. Aqueous cream which u can buy at the chemists will probably work better and I think is likely to be cheaper.

I've no idea about the drugs your vet has prescribed but for itchy skin/rashes I'd go for Bob Grass skincure cream. Rio had an allergic reaction to a flea bite and it worked really well. She used to lie on her back especially so I could apply the cream so it must have really helped the itching, smells a bit like creosote though but it does seem to stop them licking! Its also good for healing small cuts and grazes. www.bobgrass.co.uk

Edited by Nettie

Cephalexin is good for skin infections, and dogs are very prone to getting infections when they have a rash or sore. The bacteria (particularly Staph) live on their skin all the time, but once there is a break in the skin, including a burst blister, they get under the skin and infection takes hold. Your description of the patches turning dark and skin flaking off sounds very much like there was some infection there, at least, that's what happens when one of Sully's hot spots get infected.

It's not that odd that they haven't prescribed anti histamine either, if the rash was already on the way out an anti histamine wouldn't really help a great deal, you need to get them in early to stop the reaction in the first place (as hay fever sufferers will know, if you wait till the symptoms start before you take the meds, they don't help nearly as much). Which is probably why the vet opted for Malaseb instead, it's topical and it treats the symptoms (i.e. itchiness) when it is too late to tackle the cause.

So all in all it seems like a pretty reasonable prescription to me. I hope Aggie is feeling better soon though. :flowers:

Edited by pboae

its very satisfying getting all the puss out of the spots thou.........thats not something i should admit to is it.....

You are gross :laugh: :flowers:

It can be difficult with skin problems to get a definitive diagnosis. The shampoo should help soothe itching. Many dogs do not respond to piriton at all so it doesn't always help. Skin can very easily become infected after an infection ( particularly if there are blisters that burst) or blisters can be due to infection ( charlie had pyoderma as a puppy which was pus filled blisters and is an infection). Maybe the vet was hedging his bets if he wasn't sure of the diagnosis or covering with antibiotics incase the blisters got infected? Might be worth asking next time u go? I would avoid E45 as it isn't a particularly good moisturiser and some people ( so I'm presuming this goes for dogs too) can become allergic to the ingredients, particularly the lanolin in it. Aqueous cream which u can buy at the chemists will probably work better and I think is likely to be cheaper.

Thank you for that Alexis. Perhaps as you say 'he was hedging his bets' and I should'nt be so hard on him. Although I can say those tablets did nothing and cost £22!!!!! The piriton seemed to help enormously and within an hour she settled down. Now she seems perfectly fine and everything is looking much better. :flowers:

I've no idea about the drugs your vet has prescribed but for itchy skin/rashes I'd go for Bob Grass skincure cream. Rio had an allergic reaction to a flea bite and it worked really well. She used to lie on her back especially so I could apply the cream so it must have really helped the itching, smells a bit like creosote though but it does seem to stop them licking! Its also good for healing small cuts and grazes. www.bobgrass.co.uk

Oooo thanks for that. Will go and have a looky in a mo :flowers:

Thank you pboae. I still think it was odd he didn't prescribe an antihistimine too. I sort of assumed that was what the pills were that he gave me. Anyhow the shampoo seems to OK, so that is good. :flowers:

Thank you also to all those who contributed to this thread and wished Aggie and her tum well. She is definately much better now. At least I know what to do in the future and what is causing it. I think I will ask my vets for allergy testing etc as well. :flowers:

If the allergy tests confirm that Aggie has a nettle allergy, the homeopathic chemist Ainsworths will be able to send you the nettle remedy (about £10 ish). I second the Bob Grass ointment as well, it does smell, but it is quite amazing stuff :flowers: