UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Couple Of Agility Questions...

Tempest

I've been having a look at Agilty Net and doing a few searches online and there's still soooooooo much I'm confusled about when it comes to the world of competing :wacko:

I was wondering if there's a 'dummies' guide anywhere to what some of the terminology means.

I've come across the term ABC in lots of places and *think* that means 'Anything But Collies' but I'm not sure I could have just made that up :laugh:

So I'm guessing that if I wanted to compete with Jess we'd be in an ABC class but I still don't understand what the leagues mean or terms like 'starters' etc.

Could someone point me in the right direction please? :flowers:

hi,

yes ABC is " Anything But Collies" but you're not restricted to entering that class if you have a different breed and as it's a "special class" it doesn't count towards progression up the gradings. Also worth considering that often an ABC class will be open to all grades of dogs so you'll be up against some very experienced dog and handler teams.

There's a good guide to starting agility at Agility Addicts that might help :)

Lynda

hi,

yes ABC is " Anything But Collies" but you're not restricted to entering that class if you have a different breed and as it's a "special class" it doesn't count towards progression up the gradings. Also worth considering that often an ABC class will be open to all grades of dogs so you'll be up against some very experienced dog and handler teams.

There's a good guide to starting agility at Agility Addicts that might help :)

Lynda

That is a great site Lynda. Thanks for the link.

That is a great site Lynda. Thanks for the link.

The guide to Agility classes is out of date though.

These are the categories now:-

ELIGIBILITY AND SCHEDULE OF CLASSES

This classification should apply to competitions for large, medium and small dogs.

In the following definitions of classes first prizes or other prize wins are those gained in standard classes at any Kennel Club licensed Open Agility Shows (i.e. Limited Agility Shows, special classes and invitation events excepted). Only a first place with a clear round will count towards grade progression. Societies may schedule classes other than those defined below. The eligibility for “Special†classes must be defined by the Society and included in the schedule. The word “Special†must be included in the title of the class.

Agility classes to include contact points and Jumping classes where there are not contact points. With this proviso classes are defined as follows:-

Class Structure. A Class may either be held as a Graded Class or a Combined Class. A Graded Class may be scheduled for one or more consecutive grades with separate results and awards issued for each grade. A Combined Class may be scheduled for more than one consecutive grade with one overall set of results.

Progression. Progression from each grade will require one Agility win or three Jumping wins at that grade, except that progression from Grade 6 will require four wins at Grade 6, two of which must be Agility classes. Results from Combined Classes will only count towards progression from the dog’s current grade.

Points Progression. At the handler’s discretion a dog may progress up to Grade 5 by winning 75 points at each grade, using the Agility Warrant points scheme, Regulation K3.c refers, except that there is no requirement for a minimum number of Agility points. If this method of progression is selected, the handler must ensure the Show secretary signs the dog’s Agility Record Book at the first show entered at the higher grade. There is no time limit on this progression. However, once a dog has progressed, it cannot return to a previous grade.

STANDARD CLASSES

Only first prizes and points gained in standard classes at Kennel Club licensed Agility Shows may be used for progression through the classes. (A dog is only eligible for one grade.)

Grade 1 (Elementary)

For owners, handlers or dogs which have not gained a first place in any Agility Class or three first places in Jumping Classes at Kennel Club licensed Agility Shows. NB Owners, handlers or dogs previously qualified out of Grade 1 (Elementary) are not eligible for this class.

Grade 2 (Starters)

For owners, handlers or dogs which have qualified out of Grade 1 but have not gained a first place in an Agility Class or three first places in Jumping Classes at Grade 2 at Kennel Club licensed Agility Shows, or elected to progress on points from Grade 1. NB Owners, handlers or dogs previously qualified out of Grade 2 (Starters) are not eligible for this class.

Grade 3 (Graduate)

Open to dogs which are not eligible for Grade 1 or 2 or have elected to progress on points from Grade 2 at Kennel Club licensed Agility Shows and dogs which are not eligible for Grades 4, 5, 6 or 7.

Grade 4 (Novice)

Open to dogs which have gained a first place in an Agility Class or three first places in Jumping Classes at Grade 3 or elected to progress on points from Grade 3 at Kennel Club licensed Agility Shows and are not eligible for Grades 3, 5, 6 or 7.

Grade 5 (Intermediate)

Open to dogs which have gained a first place in an Agility Class or three first places in Jumping Classes at Grade 4 or elected to progress on points from Grade 4 at Kennel Club licensed Agility Shows and are not eligible for Grades 3, 4, 6 or 7.

Grade 6 (Senior)

Open to dogs which have gained a first place in an Agility Class or three first places in Jumping Classes at Grade 5 at Kennel Club licensed Agility Shows and are not eligible for Grades 3, 4, 5 or 7.

Grade 7 (Advanced)

Open to dogs which have gained a minimum of four first places at Grade 6 at Kennel Club licensed Agility Shows. Two first places must be gained in Agility (not Jumping) Classes.

The names in brackets after the grades are the previous rough equivalent.

Pam

Edited by mum24dog