UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Where Do You Walk

vodaka999

Well Billy is off school tomorrow so we thought we would take Tess for a nice run and im guessing it will either be Sheerness or Hastings

Sheerness is quite close and im told along the top road if you walk past the golf course there is a nice nature reserve but the beach is a bit naff, all stoney

Hastings is a bit further out but the beach is nice and sandy so im spoilt for choice but obviously in the summer we will be looking for nice places to go, so where do you recommend :wink:

Obviously somewhere in Kent

Last time i went to Hastings it was a pebble beach and i'm pretty sure they didn't bring sand in recently.

Broadstairs way is nice and so are some of the smaller beaches around Margate, personally I like Minnis Bay. You may need to check with each council that there are no dog restrictions and watch out for the tide cos some of the beaches disappear totally!

Last time i went to Hastings it was a pebble beach and i'm pretty sure they didn't bring sand in recently.

Broadstairs way is nice and so are some of the smaller beaches around Margate, personally I like Minnis Bay. You may need to check with each council that there are no dog restrictions and watch out for the tide cos some of the beaches disappear totally!

Hmmmm i fink im fick and got hastings and St Marys Bay mixed up, :wacko: shockingly bad as i was only in Hastings a few weeks ago :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Camber Sands in Kent has lovely beaches, but as far as I remember dogs re not allowed after 1st of May, I like Minnis Bay too, but the same there, after 1st of May no dogs on the beach. A friend of mine who lives there told me that dogs are allowed further down the beach, where the sand is not so nice.

Don't know about Hastings, but I found Rye rather nice :)

If youre going today Minnis Bay is lovely, has grassy areas, large beaches and you can walk all the way to Reculver. There is toilets and a pub/cafe there

For future trips to the thanet coast...

Dog Byelaws

In Thanet there are byelaws which relate to beaches and promenades as follows:

Dogs and their owners ARE WELCOME on the following beaches and promenades anytime during the year:

Birchington

Grenham Bay

Epple Bay

Broadstairs

Dumpton Gap

Kingsgate Bay

Louisa Bay

Cliftonville

Foreness Point

Palm Bay

Sacketts Gap

Margate

Fulsam Rock

Ramsgate

Eastcliff

Western Undercliff

From 1 May - 30 September, dogs are NOT ALLOWED during any part of the day/evening on the following beaches:

Birchington

Minnis Bay (Main Area)

Broadstairs

Viking Bay

Cliftonville

Walpole Bay

Margate

Main Sands

Ramsgate

Main Sands (Harbour end)

From 15 May - 15 September, dogs are NOT ALLOWED during the hours of 10.00hrs to 18.00 hrs on the following beaches:

Broadstairs

Botany Bay

Joss Bay

Stone Bay

Westbrook

Westbrook Bay

Westgate

West Bay

St Mildred's Bay

All dogs on the lower promenades adjacent to these beaches should be kept on a lead from 15 May to 15 September.

If you would like more information about the above please contact the Community Dog Wardens on 01843 577580

Joyful isnt it... :rolleyes: as mentioned before the beaches that allow dogs are almost fully tidal, so check the tide times, they are sandy but also rock pooly, most of them

Edited by chasta

Thanks Anne i will, I did love the walk we did on the Sponsored walk last year but i would get lost :wacko:

I was ment to be going there today but Billy got into a spot of bother so im having to keep him off today and he isnt old enough to volunteer at Foal or i would have dragged him over there too lol

Guest Rogue

We like to go to Leysdown beach, if you go through Leysdown towards Shellness but stop before you get to the nudist beach :wacko: the beach is part sand and part shingle, I've never seen any restrictions for dogs there (although there are on other parts of Sheppey. Theres a little cafe hut with loos as well which is great.

We also go to Shorne Country Park which has a dog lake just off M2, Riverside in Rainham where you can walk along the Saxon Way (I think thats what its called).

Bedgebury Pinetum is also a great day out (£5 to park all day) it does say dogs should be kept on the lead but very few people do and no one seem to complain as long as you are not near the play area.

There is also Bewl Water but I've not been there for years.

Hope that helps

Around Orpigton I can recommend Lullingston Park. You can walk from Eysford to the next village (forgot the name now) along a stream, lovely for the doggies to jump in and cool down.

But it gets quite busy at nice weather weekends....

Well we went to Leysdown in the end and we walked along cos my auntie said there were sand dunes ( we didnt find them ) Tess went into the sea doing her crazy dog impersonation ( chasing and attacking waves ) and eating as much water as possible :wacko:

Had to bring her out in the end - beach is never a great idea actually :laugh: but she had a blast. Then we walked back into sheerness had some chips and went home

Can i just say Bewl is amazing, i do love it there but i didnt want to be out all day and you could quite easily if you went there :laugh: