UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pet Insurance - Be Warned!

Guest whiskydogs

In february and march, I had to claim twice on my pet insurance. Once for Bliss and Once for Elsa. The claim was dealt with fast, I was kept aware at what stage the claims were at and I had cheques for the full amount (less the excess) within a month.

The insurer was: Animal Friends, which is indeed underwritten by E&L. I had no problem with them at all.

Lynn

xx

Guest whiskydogs

I am so glad that E&L have a terrible reputation and its not just me!!!!!

I shall definatley contact the Insurance ombudsman. What I do not understand is how do these Companies keep going???

They should be closed down...

You are all right - losing a pet is bad enough without this hassle. I cry every time I have to ring them - BASTARDS!!!

My poor Finlay.

I am wondering is it worth taking out pet insurance?? More Than charge 20% excess on vets bills once the pet is over 8 years old - I think this is a lot. Pet plan are so expensive and the literature I recevied has pages and pages of what they will NOT cover instead of what they will. Direct line sounded great on the phone but I am still waiting for literature despite lots of calls. So have given up on them. I will call M&S and NFU after your recommentations. What does NFU stand for?? M&S of course I know.

Many thanks for your comments. I must get Cameron away from E&L asap.

i had problems with more than just before and after i lost pudding our bulldog initially i tried to insure with churchill amazingly despite having one as a figure head i was told they dont insure bulldogs :wacko: so went with morethan who do my house insurance

When pud became unwell in november a couple of years ago we duly paid the excess of sixty quid and put in monthly bills till feburary when we were told we had to pay another 60 quid as the policy renewed then as did the excess, fair enough we paid however less than a month later we lost pud to his illness i put in that months bill to be told that they wouldnt pay it and in fact i owed them money £260.00 to be precise as well as having to pay £160 to the vet the reason being that i paid by monthly direct debit for a twelve month policy and as i was only one month into the yearly policy i was forced to pay to insure pud for twelve months even though he was dead and they cancelled the direct debit and demanded the lot at once. they lost me as a customer not only for pet insurance but for household, buildings and car too.

Edited by M.E.L.F.

My 2 are covered with Petplan and they've always (and still!!!) pay promptly. The only gripe I have with them is about their policy on complementary therapy. Because of this I've looked at other insurers and the only other policy I could find with a lifetime cover policy and a reputation for prompt payment (without the hassle) was M& S. I don't think pricewise there's much to pick between the 2 of them.

Saying that I looked at Marksies policy last week and they also seem to have added a £750 ceiling on complementary treatments. Not much if you've got a dog that needs ongoing hydrotherapy/acupuncture etc. etc. :angry:

I am with More Than. Never had any problems and was claiming £500 a month towards the end of Lucy's life and £350 per months for a good couple of years before that.

Stayed with them with my new doglet.

A friend had problems like yours with E&L also. I hope you resolve it soon.