UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Chasing Tail When Being Fed

BillyMalc

A neighbour has just taken on a dog from someone who couldn't look after him anymore. He looks a bit like a Mancester terrier X JRT, and definitely has a terrier temperament!

The interesting thing, which my neighbour has asked me to ask your advice about, is that when he gets his dinner, he will eat a few mouthfuls and then starts barking and chasing his tail, sort of like he thinks his tail belongs to another dog and he tries to chase it away. :rolleyes: All in all it takes him about 40 minutes to eat his dinner like that!

I've got absolutely no idea what to suggest, so I'm counting on you peeps to come up with any enlightening ideas! :flowers:

ooh ahh :wacko: the dog sounds quite stressed. I think what I would try first is to scatter his dinner (if it is dry food) in the garden so he has to sniff it out rather than just eat it out of a bowl. Hopefully having to search for his food would break the pattern of chasing his tail, as his brain would be kept busy. It can't harm to try anyway :flowers: