UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Are Vets Qualified To Decide What Is A 'pit Bull Type'?

Rudi

:unsure: I just read the following letter by Professor A S Milton, Tutor in Veterinary Pharmacology at the University of Cambridge. It was published in Dog World on April 13th, page 6. He is writing in response to a previous letter criticising vet students for not being able to identify different breeds of dogs at Discover Dogs. He says unless there are specific medical conditions, why should students be able to identify each individual breed of dog when they are, anatomically, very similar. He says they have enough to learn without knowing all breeds of dog, cat, cow and pig etc.

"...However, there is one serious side to this observation, which has given me cause for concern for some time, and that is the use of certain vets by the police and the prosecution to testify that a particular dog is of a 'pit bull type'.

As an expert witness they are assumed, because of their training to pronounce on this issue. Magistrates may accept their word because they carry the title veterinary surgeon and assume they know what a 'pit bull type' is and yet I know of no veterinary course in the UK where it would be part of their training to recognise a particular breed of dog, particularly when a pit bull is not a recognised breed in the UK.

I have been surprised that I know of no instance where a defense lawyer has challenged one of these vets as to whether recognition of a 'pit bull type' of dog formed part of their training at veterinary school."

:unsure: I just read the following letter by Professor A S Milton, Tutor in Veterinary Pharmacology at the University of Cambridge. It was published in Dog World on April 13th, page 6. He is writing in response to a previous letter criticising vet students for not being able to identify different breeds of dogs at Discover Dogs. He says unless there are specific medical conditions, why should students be able to identify each individual breed of dog when they are, anatomically, very similar. He says they have enough to learn without knowing all breeds of dog, cat, cow and pig etc.

I have been surprised that I know of no instance where a defense lawyer has challenged one of these vets as to whether recognition of a 'pit bull type' of dog formed part of their training at veterinary school."

It has been challenged many times in courts over the years and a point fiercely debated.

Amanda

Edited by Amanda2007