UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cocker/collie X Puppy Barking

My working cocker/collie X puppy, Gypsy is 9 months old and barks incessantly when she's outside. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old and she's getting worse!

I know that it's excitement but it drives us mad!! :wacko: :wacko:

We've tried putting her out in the garden on her own without the other dogs but it's not always practical and we feel mean. We've also tried letting her out first and then the others and the opposite way round.

We've had advice to bang steel bowls once she starts but she ignores them, we've squirted her with a water pistol but she likes that! We've tried ignoring her when noisy and praising when quiet. We've told her to be quiet but nothing works.

She wants to tell the world how much fun life is and how happy she is to be alive!!

Can anyone please help? :)

Jill

x

PS we've also got her dad and he doesn't make a sound!

Edited by poppynvader

It sounds as if she only barks when the other dogs are out with her?

Very often bringing her in each time she barks will work -you'd have to be totally consistent however,

as would other members of the family, or it won't work..she'd also have to understand why she was being brought in,

so you could use a marker word such as "ahah" said calmly as she barked.

This is assuming she's healthy, and is really barking for fun and nothing else, as other reasons could make matters

more complicated (eg territorial barking, frustration, etc)

Lindsay

x

Edited by Lindsay

Hello Jill

Have you tried doing some TTouch with her? Do you remember some of the stuff we did at the workshop? Excitable dogs can often hold tension in the head and mouth. Ear work is also very calming.

Marie

Ooh I remember that. :biggrin: Self control exercises using a clicker? Walking slowly and waits/stays. What about getting her to use her nose in the garden so that when she is in the garden she has to concentrate and work to find food or toys?