UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

"free To Good Homes" ~ Scary Advert!

Guest ZED

The following advert has been placed in the 'small ads' section of our local newspaper:

"Greyhounds at present racing N.G.R.C; good grades, very nice natures, make excellent pets or race. 100% fit, no vices, free to good homes".

free to good homes ? :soapbox:

Hopefully some of the lucky ones will indeed find themselves in good homes with caring owners ... but I'm saddened to think what sort of fate lies in store for the dogs who will inevitably end up in 'not-so-good' homes with idiots. :mecry:

Cheers,

Paula & Co.

Unfortunately all our local Rescues are full ... and even so, some are reluctant to take in ex-racing greyhounds because they're regarded as "difficult to rehome".

I'm working my way through the Greyhound Rescues, cockergirl ... fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Paula & Co.

Not sure where you are & I hadnt realised I was replying to an old post yesterday somehow but it may prove useful after all - have a look at the links in here - a whole list of Greyound people including ex racing dogs. Could be wrong but my impression was that they may have a mailing list for them all & therefore be able to save you some work

http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry390404

Ian

Tricky one, this.

The industry breeds close to 40,000 dogs each year. Officially just over 3,000 get rehomed through official channels. If every greyhound bred was taken into rescue, they'd not cope, nor would enough homes be found.

The bottom line is, too many dogs are being bred (hence the number being destroyed each year). The person advertising these dogs is not doing it in an ideal way, but neither has he taken them on a one-way trip to the vets or hit them over the head with a breeze block.

If I had the choice of taking a death-row poundie to fill my last rescue space, or a 'free to a good home' dog, the poundie would win every time.

Granted, if this person does a cr@p job of rehoming, we may have to clear up the mess anyway (our rescue boy Joey is an example of bad trainer rehoming) - but if a percentage of these dogs find a good home direct from the trainer, it reduces the pressure we are under.

I'm not defending this type of rehoming, but you need to look at the bigger picture.

I do hate those adverts.

Unfortunatly-I agree with Clare(don't mean it bad to agree with you Claz! :wink: )the sheer number of ex-racing greyhounds needing rehoming every year would bury the greyhound rescues and make it impossible for them to save the poundies/dumped and mistreated one that they are able to help. All you can really do is hope the trainer does a decent job of it-and at least he isn't rehoming them by way of bolt-gun like so many other do. At least these dogs are being given a chance of finding a good home. This is why I don't read the "free ads"-I would want to bring them all here-and I can't. :(

Doesn't make it right-doesn't mean I feel these ads are ok-but with the state of rescue right now-everyone bursting at the seems-you simply have the hope for the best and help the ones who are the most needy.