UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Printer Cable

snow

OK computers I know about, printers - not so much - as far as I'm concerned so long as the flipping thing copies, scans and prints then thats all I need to know :laugh: (OK I know a bit more than that but it isn't my fave topic lol)

So right my printer has gone and decided to die on me - or rather it has decided it will no longer feed the paper thru which amounts to pretty much the same thing, as a printer that doesn't print is rather useless :laugh:

Money is an issue, so I will undoubtedly be replacing it with it's cheapest possible replacement which will probably mean the same lexmark all in one that I have now only the new model. Mine runs from a usb printer cable - but being the X75 I suspect (cos I can't remember) that the printer cable is a USB 1.0 - the newer model supports USB 2.0 - and doesn't come with the cable which is an extra £20! :ohmy:

So question is - will a USB 1.0 cable work with the newer model?

I could be wrong too - but I'd have said it would probably work - as usb2 devices are usually backward compatible - usb2 is just faster. Even if it's not shop around - you can a usb2 cable from £8.99 in Argos, £11.99 if you do want the gold one - though personally I'd say it's unnecessary for a printer.

You may want to check the price of cartridges before you buy your Lexmark. It may have changed as the market has become ever more competitive but the way Lexmark used to work was printer was cheap but their cartridges were far more expensive than other manufacturers - the initial price soon became a false economy!

A long shot perhaps but if it's only got a little paper in you could also try filling it - I've had the odd printer in the past which as they got older started playing up when paper tray wasn't well filled.

I could be wrong too - but I'd have said it would probably work - as usb2 devices are usually backward compatible - usb2 is just faster. Even if it's not shop around - you can a usb2 cable from £8.99 in Argos, £11.99 if you do want the gold one - though personally I'd say it's unnecessary for a printer.

You may want to check the price of cartridges before you buy your Lexmark. It may have changed as the market has become ever more competitive but the way Lexmark used to work was printer was cheap but their cartridges were far more expensive than other manufacturers - the initial price soon became a false economy!

A long shot perhaps but if it's only got a little paper in you could also try filling it - I've had the odd printer in the past which as they got older started playing up when paper tray wasn't well filled.

Thanks Ian sorry had completely missed your reply.

Yeah we have tried the paper tray thing, the paper will go thru if I hand feed it, it's just not gripping any more to pull the first bit thru if you know what I mean LOL

I know Lexmark ink is more expensive - I tend to shop around online for good deals and buy a few at a time, I have been looking at the HP one as the ink is around £5 cheaper for black and £10 for coloured the HP is £10 more to buy but over time would work out cheaper ink wise so I'm iff'ing and am'ing

The more I thought about the cable the more I came to the conclusion it should work, I only have one 2.0 usb port on the 'puter and I'm buggered if I know which one it is, and the chances of it being the printer port are slim to none lol