UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Progress reports and pics

Guest patch

This thread is for peeps to post how they are getting on, or when their dog/s have `got it `, and mention if learning HTM is getting other good behaviours / reactions as a result, so really its a brag thread :D

If anyone manages to get pics of what their dogs have been learning, that would be terrific !

Here we can all share in each others new skills, be inspired, encourage each other, encourage more people to join in who have never thought of trying HTM, or just be plain jealous [ in a nice way ;) at how well our wonderful dogs are doing :)

This thread is for peeps to post how they are getting on, or when their dog/s have `got it `, and mention if learning HTM is getting other good behaviours / reactions as a result, so really its a brag thread :D

If anyone manages to get pics of what their dogs have been learning, that would be terrific !

Here we can all share in each others new skills, be inspired, encourage each other, encourage more people to join in who have never thought of trying HTM, or just be plain jealous [ in a nice way ;) at how well our wonderful dogs are doing :)

Three of our training club members have been on a training session with Mary Ray and we do have our own weekly challenge.

Last week's was a grapevine with the dog weaving through the legs but the dog doesn't have to do it every time and I can't work out exactly what we're aiming at so I'll need a demo tonight.

Ross will do it easily, I know, if only I can work out what it is I want him to do!

Funnily enough, I'm the only one of the five who have tried to teach their dog to lie down with paws over their eyes who has succeeeded. The others are all having great trouble using Mary Ray's method of putting a scrunchie round the muzzle and clicking when it tries to paw it off. They all seem to find it too distracting to catch on to what they are being clicked for.

I've done it in a much gentler way - prompting the behaviour by a very gentle blow (air not fist) on the muzzle and shaping with the clicker.

well - Finn and I have been working on the first move for about a week now so we better update I guess!..

Finn already knew all the individual bits but getting him to do all of it together is more tricky. Still using hand signals and voice commands at the moment but we can do it all for just one click and treat at then end of it all.

Notice that he gets progressively more excited about each stage as we go through it and is positively sproinging round by the last turn :D

My update : FLuke had already ben working on the twist and twirl and got those beautifully. We are still a work in progress on the revers walking, he does it very nicely as I walk forward but have still a bot to do for him to walk backward on cue [ getting there though ].

So, lets have your updates guys, and if something isn`t working quite right yet dont worry thw ekk is not a timescale it has to be done by, as we know most training is ongoing and each new move you start in gives you and your dogs a break from the previous move so you dont feel you are getting bogged down with one thing :)

So hows everyone getting on so far ? :) :)

Finn is happy with the first move, so long as we can use hand signals. Not started doing twist/twirl as opposed to "round you go" with hand direction because my left and right is so apalling I can't work it out myself!

Having problems with the reverse - he backs up in front of me or beside me perfectly but only if I move with him, so we're trying to reduce the amount of movement I do.... going backwards through my legs :laugh: not a hope just now, but will see

no pics as just me and Finn doing it together for now.

Well i just tried tonight the walking, spinning and twisting bit... 100% succes with Frost and Poppy is getting the hang of it slowly... she was getting a bit confused with her spins and twists! LOL... she was being a twit tho cos she does really know them! ill keep working on her.

Havent tried the reverse through the legs yet! Poppy can walk backwards away from me and Frost is only learning that at the moment... but i will try

Havent tried the reverse through the legs yet!

If you can get her to wait in a stand, try standing astride her with just her nose peeking out between your legs.

She's virtually bound to back out and you can C/T.

Shape it from there with more backward movement needed each time.

I taught Ross a completely different and more complicated way using a target stick and it worked fine, but I've found this way easier with the other 3.

Pam

If you can get her to wait in a stand, try standing astride her with just her nose peeking out between your legs.

She's virtually bound to back out and you can C/T.

Shape it from there with more backward movement needed each time.

I taught Ross a completely different and more complicated way using a target stick and it worked fine, but I've found this way easier with the other 3.

Pam

ooh - whats the other way? Only Finn has a trick where he dives through my legs from the front, then comes from the back and sits between my legs - so as soon as I stand over him he sits very smartly and stares up at me :laugh:

ooh - whats the other way? Only Finn has a trick where he dives through my legs from the front, then comes from the back and sits between my legs - so as soon as I stand over him he sits very smartly and stares up at me :laugh:

If you hold a fairly long target stick from behind over the dog's nose high enough that the dog has to raise its head up and back a bit, most dogs will take a step backwards if you then draw the stick a bit further back - and then shape from there.

I started teaching Ross to walk backwards by my side first this way and then from in front.

It does have the advantage of encouraging the dog to go in a straight line, but make sure you don't always walk down the same of the dog to get into position or it might start to turn its head that way.

Ross is a bit dim and hesitates to offer behaviours in case he gets it wrong, so he needs more support when learning new things than the others.

Pam

If you hold a fairly long target stick from behind over the dog's nose high enough that the dog has to raise its head up and back a bit, most dogs will take a step backwards if you then draw the stick a bit further back - and then shape from there.

Pam

ah - we've tried that one too - he just sits extra fast :laugh: if I don't reward he'll give paws, then try lying down super fast and sitting again :rolleyes:

hmmmmmmm, tricksy hound.

He does understand "back" facing me and beside me though...

ah - we've tried that one too - he just sits extra fast :laugh: if I don't reward he'll give paws, then try lying down super fast and sitting again :rolleyes:

hmmmmmmm, tricksy hound.

He does understand "back" facing me and beside me though...

If he understands it in some positions, try just shifting slightly. - so from facing him turn slightly away maybe just a degree or two and build up from there. Its just like when you would "proof" a normal cue - change body language/position in room/relative to dog etc to make sure your dog *really* knows it and can perform it regardless of what you are doing.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else - I know what I'm talking about :huh: