UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Halti/canny Headcollers Help

gremlin22

My mum has a 10yo GSD, and she's a nightmare to walk. I've tried her on a halti headcoller and she was fine, but my parents think they are cruel. I think it's because when headcollers first came out they got a cheap and nasty one and it cut her face, now they're really paranoid about the same happening again. Does anyone know of any padded brands of headcollar, that still work well? I've also tried her on a harness but it doesn't help much and my parents don't like it. The dog is not a spring chicken any more so lead training doesn't help. I have tried but as I don't live there, I can't keep up the training and my parents don't. So are there any padded headcollars out there? She really is difficult to walk, she pulls like mad and can pull my 6 ft 3 dad into the road.She gets walked every day, often in the car to the woods, and most ofher walk is off lead, she just needs to be on a lead for safety near roads and things.

I dont know of any that are padded, i k now dogmatic make several versions of their headcollar in different materials but i dont know how good they are as i havent used one, just have one for adapting (woz KathyMs thus dharma sized, thus doesnt fit my tiny muttlets :lol: )

I am adapting the dogmatic to make it less bulky and softer over the nose though, but still with the same 'does not ride into eyes' thing - hoepfully, however have not started on it yet.

You could get whichever one suits the dog best and then have the nosepiece padded?

Em

Halti do a padded version - it has fleece cushioning the face strap. If the Halti works, go with their padded version. It's just an extra 50p or a £1

Each dog is different and reacts better to a different headcollar - my last girl was great with a Halti, this one still pulled like a train, but is fine with a Canny Collar.

Halti do a padded version - it has fleece cushioning the face strap. If the Halti works, go with their padded version. It's just an extra 50p or a £1

Each dog is different and reacts better to a different headcollar - my last girl was great with a Halti, this one still pulled like a train, but is fine with a Canny Collar.

thanks everyone. the halti is sounding best. Just a case of getting my parents to go for the idea now...d'oh!

Hello there...

I tried to train my GSD/Rottie X, to a halti- but he absolutely hated it..and it was taking forever to

get results... then I came across the Walkezee harness...

It is ab fab!!! from the very first time I put it on the difference was amazing (dunno how to post the

link- but if you google 'Walkezee' you'll get it)

I have been using it for 2 months now, and although still training heelwork etc - cannot reccommend it highly enough...easy on you, and easy on doggy... :flowers:

Guest madmare

I used a halti on my Rottie x GSD and found it pushed up toward her eye making it sore. I now use a dogmatic which is quite well padded and it does not slip or move at all. I can't praise it highly enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Halti do a padded headcollar. But if your parents are reluctant to use a headcollar what about a front attachment harness.

My favourite is the Gentle Leader WalkEasy Harness (Try Ebay for UK suppliers). It has a strap that goes around the chest just behind the legs and another that comes across the front of the chest. Your lead clips in at the front of the chest and they're my favourite harness for teaching nice walking.

Halti also make a front attachment harness but I kept getting tangled although they have improved their harness recently.

Lots of people have recommended the Walkezee and I would love to road test one.

Most dogs adapt much quicker to a good fitting front attachment harness than a headcollar and they can be as effective at stopping pulling.