UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ball Ball Ball - Actually No Cant Be Bothered

waggi

Flyte our collieXgreyhound lurcher just doesnt have any intrest what so ever in balls

we have tried quite a few diffrent things to get her intrest but its just not happening at all she would be a cracking flyball dog if we could just get her intrested in anything - toys, treats, balls all she wants to do is run

any ideas ?

This sounds so like my saluki girl Maddie, not remotely toy or food orientated, just want s to run and flirt with any boys in the area!!!

Well I am pleased to announce that after 6 months hard work she now really enjoys retrieving the ball, we have not yet tried to transfer this to flyball but I think we will get there one day. All I did was spend ages being really silly with the ball when me and her were on our own, throwing it a really short distance and being giddy and daft bouncing aroud until she got giddy and grabbed the ball almost by mistake, cue loads of OTT fuss and praise. Stop at that on day one and repeat at most a couple of times a week. We can now do about 20 fast retrieves in a row with a very bouncy happy girl.

Don't know how giddy your girl gets but if she can be daft it might work with her too. I also think we need photos in order to give the best advice!!!

Must be a lurcher or Saluki thing. My lurcher (saluki cross) was not interested in balls at all when we first got him. He soon realised that he got a game of tuggy if he got a ball so started to get interested which was eventually transferred to flyball. Unfortunately as soon as he got his 200 points, last May, he decided it is all too much effort and not bothered since. He still likes tennis balls though :biggrin: :D :rolleyes:

i know that feeling, Maddie will run fast up to the box, then stop and lean on the box loader for a fuss!!! She is getting better though, she has stopped doing a lap of honour when she comes out trying to find boys to roll round in front of and actually come back to me now!!!

She will get there in the end, she was really excited to see a ball on Saturday when we had a fetch game so maybe it will be sooner rather than later!!