UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Flat Screen Monitor Thingies

cindere528

I've had to bring my computer downstairs because of the broadband connection (don't ask!) Anyway, my monitor is one of the huge type & it dominates the living room. I've decided that I need one of those nice neat little flat screen thingies. There's a computer shop across the road from where I work & they have 17" flat screens for £115 and 19" ones for £150. I just wondered if anyone knows if that's a particularly good price. I can't remember the make of them but if anyone knows of any makes to avoid like the plague, that information would be useful too.

It does depend on the make, there are more ones you would want rather than ones to avoid like the plague. I would expect those monitors to be fairly good at that price - so if they are not then it is too much.

Rather than brand you need to look at features.

Native resolution - this defines the size of the image on screen. I would expect both to be 1280x1024 (if the 17 is a 1024x768 it is way overpriced)

Response time - 12ms would be a maximum. Ideally nearer 8ms

Contrast Ratio - 500:1 or better (better being 600:1)

Also look at the warranty, specifically dead pixels... some will not replace it if one of the pixels dies (annoying red dot....)

Right, I've bought it, got it home, set it up & it's fab, takes up a lot less room on the desk and is easier to see.

One problem though, I have bad eyesight & have the resolution set to 1024x768. On that setting it's great but I keep getting a message on screen saying "for best picture quality change resolution to 1280x1024" I can't get rid of the message, it keep on popping up every few seconds. Any ideas anyone?