UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Oh Why

The latest of my li'l Miss Chav: weeing in bed! :ohmy: Not really 'latest' as in the last couple of days tho, but still. She's lived with us for nearly 2 years now, the first year she was not allowed to sleep on my bed with Mal. Of course she wriggled her way in (or up rather), common sense went out the door, and she's been sleeping in bed since almost a year. She first wee'd in bed once or twice during the winter, nothing after that. Then about 6 weeks ago she wee'd in bed 2 nights in a row: once at home and once while we were staying over at a friend's. My friend has got 2 dogs as well, same age as Kiera, and they get along ever so well. Now I don't remember what exactly the situation was during the winter, but the twice in a row 6 weeks ago was when they were all together. Last week she wee'd in bed again, so after that I didn't let her sleep in bed, but had her back on her own bed at the foot of mine. No problem at all. Last nite she was already on my bed, I was tired, couldn't be asked moving her, so I left her. Guess what I found this morning: yep, a big nice wet patch! :ohmy: :unsure: Her 2 doggie friends are staying here at the moment as well, but sleep in the living room. I really don't understand it, she does not wee anywhere else in the house - or anyone else's - at any time, ever. She behaves like normal, eats and drinks like normal, and has no other physical or behavioural signs that something's wrong. Obviously this is it now, as much as I like having her in bed, she'll have to sleep on her own or in the living room with the other 2.

Has anyone ever come across this though and could offer me some kind of explanation (can dogs have nightmares or wet the bed like children can when they're asleep?)?

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

I can't answer I'm afraid, Indy only weed on my bed once, and she had systitis. But she would also constantly squad down when I took her out, so there was no doubt. I took her to the vet the same day, and she didn't do it again after having her tablets.

I hope someone comes along with real advise :flowers:

So..... shes weeing when there are other dogs around?

Id have a guess at insecurity, weeing in the bed will make it much more strongly HERS and quite probably is strongly linking her scent with yours.

As to how to fix it, i dunno, probably long term work on making her more confident and independant but also letting her know that you make decisions and they'll always be good ones, - should help to get rid of any worries or insecurities.

Em

• 1 month later...

Well it's been sorted...sort of. I found that she was leaving wet patches at other places at other parts of the day as well, and actually being quite distressed when she noticed them. The poor thing has got a 'leaky bum' :ohmy: :( . We've been to the vet's and she's had a course of Incurin; a tablet each day for 7 days, then one every other day for the next 7. It then became quite clear that it wasn't weeing as such, because she'd leave 3-4 wet patches on the days that she didn't get anything. A friend's had her dog on Propalin syrup for years and years, with very good results. When I learnt that Incurin was actually a canine variety of HRT replacement therapy, I was a bit worried, so asked the vet what he thought of Propalin. He's fine with me trying that out, so that's what she's on now.

I just feel really bad that I immediately put her bed wetting down to "yet another" behavioural problem that I didn't understand. :(