UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mod Rethink After Sun Campaigns For Retiring Forces Dogs?

Ian

All 288 dogs pts by the MOD over the last 3.5 years were listed in yesterdays Sun along with reasons for their death. Some were possibly only for reasons that may have happened similarly in a domestic situation at stage - eg malignancy (I take this to mean cancer) others were ridiculous - skin disease. Even blindness did not necessarily mean these dogs could not be homed with someone.

It seems that 318 dogs were homed (the MOD apparently prefers service personnel) versus the 288 were pts between Jan 2010 & Jun 2013 (I make that 47.5% v 52.5% approx.) whilst in the states the Sun reported "just" 219 dogs were pts v 1052 rehomed (2009 - 2011. I make that 17.25% v 82.75% approx) after a handler raised the plight of his dog and a politician & animal welfare groups called for action resulting in "Robbies law" being signed by Bill Clinton in 2000

The Sun is running a petition which reads

Give all retired MoD dogs a chance. I call on the ministry of defence to review its policy on retired military dogs and give them a better chance to live. Signed ........................ Name ................................ Address ........................................ Post code .........

Send to MOD Dogs, The Sun 3 Thomas More Square, LONDON E98 1SN

or join the petiton at the sun.co.uk if registered with their website

They appear to be making progress as whilst it's a very weak looking statement to my mind & incredibly implies that vets haven't even been involved in such decisions to date - so much for the health reasons being untreatable then ! - why not consider adding your name to ensure the message that dogs are not just pieces of kit goes home!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10324850/Prince-Williams-guard-dogs-MoD-says-no-more-will-die.html

Previous response before the Suns 3 days of reports & launching a petition http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24139769