UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Questions About Previcox - One Probably Daft The Other Not

snow

As you know Nog was prescribed Previcox a couple of months ago as he was refusing to use his bad leg - the previcox worked like a miracle drug and he started to use the leg almost immediately, however neither I nor the vet wanted to see him on it permanently if we could avoid it. So I gave him a 3 week break from taking it up until 5 days ago, for the first week or so there was no change and he used his leg and was as active as he had been when on it, the 2nd week I began to notice a gradual favouring of the bad leg after he'd been over the fields for a run, the third week he used the bad leg less and less around the house reverting back to hopping about on 3 legs although he still ran round like a loony off lead, he also seemed a lot stiffer and more reluctant to get up and move around unless he really had to and spent most of the day and evening on my bed rather than wanting to be with us, so I put him back on the previcox which once again worked a miracle and he's back to using the leg, managing the stairs and much happier to get up and move about. I'm still not totally happy with him being on it long term as he's only 9 and I know there are long term implications with taking it (he's had a blood test for liver/kidney function and will be having them regularily whilst on previcox). At the moment I'm giving it to him daily but since he didn't really show any signs of stiffness until he'd been off it for over a week I was wondering if it could be taken intermittantly rather than daily - does anyone know if it can be used that way? I'll probably ring the vet tomorrow and ask but thought I'd ask the all knowing fugees tonight :biggrin:

Second question is related but probably a bit daft :blush02: does anyone know if previcox changes the "taste" or "scent" of a dogs wee? Ever since Nogs been on it he's been getting rather a lot of ummm "blow jobs" from other dogs - that stopped when he was off the previcox but has once again started this week now he's back on them, nothing else about his diet has changed.

i think that tablets can change a dogs wee..... when my lad is on certain tablets diez is more "interested" in his bits :unsure:

you might be able to reduce the dosage Nog is having but i wouldn't like to say if you could stop giving it daily :unsure: my lad is 5, he is not doing well at all with his cruciate &cartlidge repair and he is starting previcox tomorrow.... i hope he improves just as Nog did as i am feeling like a very crap owner at the moment :mecry:

According to Noah Previcox is indeed most effective after 3 or 4 doses though I don't see why he couldn't have those 3 or 4 days on a break, back on if required, back off etc

http://www.noahcompe...ets/-38638.html

Alternatively would something like Green lipped muscle, glucosamine etc be of sufficient help in regular dosage now that it's been a while since his op'?

Don't know about his urine but perhaps if it's got caramel & smoked flavourings added to make it palitable to dogs traces of this scent are also being "passed through"?

Edited by Ian

What dosage is he on ? couldn't you give him the full dosage for 3-4 days to get it up and running, and then reduce it by say 1/4 and see if he maintains mobility, then see if you can reduce it again. The thing about pain management is you really want to keep a good balance, if you start allowing pain to break through, the nerve ending become more sensitive to pain, so it can make matters worse by allowing the pain cover to fluctuate ( hope that makes sense)