UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pulling On Lead

jax39

Hi all, Ive a lovely springer foster boy just arrived with me, who is almost perfect in every way, except for pulling on the lead, and totally unable to walk in a straight line, hes all over the place! :biggrin: Unfortunately he is too strong for me to walk on-lead, and I also have rheaumatism in my right arm which doesnt help. He is still getting plenty of exercise off lead as I drive him to the park twice a day, but would love to be able to walk him there instead. Im guessing because of the weakness in my arm I may not be able to do much training with him, anyone got any advice, or should I just carry on doing what Im doing, and leave it up to his new owners to try to rectify the problem. Thankyou! :flowers:

Yes well - he's a Springer. Mine is now 15 (we adopted him aged 10) and he still pulls like a train!!!

When I had a Wiccaweys foster dog (they're not allowed off lead at all while they're on foster) and discovered I'd got arthritis in my hand too I found a harness took a lot of the pressure off and made her easier to walk. (She's no longer a foster dog :laughingsmiley: and is back on an ordinary lead but we often don't bother with a lead at all because she's such a good girl).

Diane

Thanks both, was going to try a harness, see how that goes, and will also try the treats and lead on belt method, Ive already got a springer, but shes no bother, this boy is strong as an ox! :biggrin: Two different dogs completely, but loving every minute anyway! :biggrin:

At first make sure the treats are coming really frequently, and this may mean walking him on his own and treating every other stride (that's your strides, not his) until he's looking at your for the treat. Then you can start to drop the frequency of the treats. I find the easiest way to do this is to treat after 1 stride, then 2 strides, then 3 strides, and so on, as long as the dog is beside you and keeping the lead loose. If they start to make the lead go in a straight line (not even 'proper pulling') then start again with rewarding after 1 stride. It won't be long before you're up to 15, 16, 17 strides, especially if you're using really yummy treats (I like Mattesons Fridge raiders cut into small pieces, 'cos they is really yummy, or garlic sausage or smelly cheese) Don't forget to cut down on 'normal' food (or use it along with the treats if the dog will take it)

HTH

The way I teach a dog to walk on a loose lead is to have a harness on him and a 6ft lead.

With the lead attached to the harness and the dog on my left, I have the handle of the lead in my right hand and hold the lead about halfway down in my left.

As I set I say "Close", if people have tried to teach dogs to walk to heel using the word "heel" and failed it can put the dog off with this word so I change it to "Close".

I set off walking, as soon as the dog's nose goes infront of my him, I drop the lead in my left hand and turn and walk the other way. The dog has to follow and catch up.

Everytime his nose goes in front of my hip, I do this and very quickly dogs start to walk next to me and start to watch what I am doing.

I use my voice to encourage my dog to walk close to me and don't treat until I have finished. I do give lots of praise and fuss during these sessions.

I do this for 5 to 10 minutes each day and it doesn't take long before my dogs are walking on a loose lead all the time.

Everything K9 Fran & Mrs Mop have advocated have worked for me in the past apart from with my Weimaraner who needed a little something extra. He'd never really had to walk on a lead until he was about 12 years old and was accustomed to the freedom of HPR work. Not only was he a very powerful dog, he weighed nearly as much as I do plus I needed to walk him with together my lab x collie girl. His on-lead pulling revolved around his compulsion to scout and sniff and he was dragging me from sniffing spot to sniffing spot as though I wasn't even there (and pulling my arms out of their sockets), rushing all the time.

I made a point of going out alone prior to taking the dogs for a walk for a few days and hiding treats amongst the grass in the verges. As he was forging ahead in his haste to find the next great smell, he was missing these treats. I'd then go back, poke around in the grass where I knew a treat lay and obviously he'd come noseying to see what I'd "found". He soon realised that he'd be far better off with a less haste more speed approach and became much steadier, hunting assiduously as he did off-lead. I don't know why he felt the need to rush when he was on his lead but both me and his little sis were very glad when the issue was resolved! :biggrin: