UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

If This Was A Dog Breeder............

Trallwm farm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if she buys and sells that makes her a dealer, doesn't it? (As well as a breeder).

Sorry Anne, but I can see exactly where Lesley is coming from. For starters, she sells her own on after they're no longer useful to her, she admits to buying and selling (why would she need to if she is producing her own youngstock?).

I'm sorry but I can't see that you'd compare this woman with a stud farm for instance. After all, okay so you produce youngstock but the mainstay of your business I would think is providing a fit, well looked after stallion to promote and further improve the particular breed and bloodlines and also the quality care of other people's mares pre, during and post birth.

I'm not denying she spends money on her horses and I'm not saying she doesn't love them either but I also would be wary of someone who was after a horse for her daughter, especially if she buys and sells because it implies that she's not willing to buy one at market price.

I don't see why someone who breeds ( whatever the animal ), provided it is done responsibly, should be treated differently to someone who doesn't.

They should certainly be treated with normal courtesy. If one is rude to people that news travels and can only put them and other people they speak to off trying to help rescues.

As we don't actually know what sort of horses she breeds it is quite possible that they are not suitable for her daughter to ride.

I'm not denying she spends money on her horses and I'm not saying she doesn't love them either but I also would be wary of someone who was after a horse for her daughter, especially if she buys and sells because it implies that she's not willing to buy one at market price.

Not being willing to buy an animal at market price is an accusation which could be levelled at anyone who has a horse or pony on loan, or anyone who chooses to spend £100 on a rescue rather than several hundreds ( or thousands ) of pounds on an animal from a breeder.

Again, we don't know how old her daughter is, or what her riding capabilities are, she may be at the age where she will fairly quickly outgrow a pony and therefore if bought it would need to be sold on fairly quickly.

I don't see why someone who breeds ( whatever the animal ), provided it is done responsibly, should be treated differently to someone who doesn't.

Because that is most rescues policy that they do not provide animals to breeders or dealers and ensure that thier animals cannot be bred from or sold on.................................

They should certainly be treated with normal courtesy. If one is rude to people that news travels and can only put them and other people they speak to off trying to help rescues.

pot / kettle

As we don't actually know what sort of horses she breeds it is quite possible that they are not suitable for her daughter to ride.

WE dont but as it was me who spoke to her I do know

Show ponies

Not being willing to buy an animal at market price is an accusation which could be levelled at anyone who has a horse or pony on loan, or anyone who chooses to spend £100 on a rescue rather than several hundreds ( or thousands ) of pounds on an animal from a breeder.

There is a world of difference between helping rescue and just trying to get something on the cheap

Again, we don't know how old her daughter is, or what her riding capabilities are, she may be at the age where she will fairly quickly outgrow a pony and therefore if bought it would need to be sold on fairly quickly.

ahhhhhh you have solved a mystery for me then. I didnt think to ask. All those years wasted.

ahhhhhh you have solved a mystery for me then. I didnt think to ask. All those years wasted.

I'd just like to say, my 6 year old has an 11hh section A which she will outgrow at some point but will NEVER be sold on. Ever.

Likewise Thug my youngster, our Connemara with tunnel vision, a permanent loan gifted to us because the owner hasn't the time or funds and last but not least Kirstie's dartmoor Bramble, who was outgrown by Kirstie years ago.

I wouldn't sell a dog on because I wanted a better/faster/younger/taller dog, so why is a horse different?

If the worst came to the worst and I could not afford to keep them, or something awful (God forbid) happened to me I know that mine will be looked after to the end of their days by my family.

My sister in law sold her daughter's pony a couple of months ago because her own mare unexpectedly dropped a foal in April. I'm still stunned that she did it (for "financial reasons" at the time) even though financially they were better off having sold a brand new car because they'd got a company car etc. Her daughter hadn't even had the pony a year. I'm sorry but knowing them as I do, I really think it sucks and I feel awful for the daughter for wanting one, getting one and then having it taken away from her.

The really sad thing is that there is a reputable riding stables less than 100 yards away from her house that would have taken the pony on as working loan at no cost at all and the mother knew that. :(

I wouldn't sell a dog on because I wanted a better/faster/younger/taller dog, so why is a horse different?

I must admit I know very little about the horse world, but this is something that strikes me. It seems far more acceptable to sell on a horse because it's out-served its purpose, than it would be a dog. Obviously not acceptable to everyone, from reading this thread :flowers:

I just can't imagine ever "owning" a living creature and then wanting to sell him/her to buy a different one. I guess I will stick to dogs :)

Personnaly I've never understood how horse owners can part with a horse they have perhaps grown up with or had for a number of years, I know a few people who own horses and they would never part with their friends, even if this means they couldn't afford another horse, it's so easy for a horse to end up with the meat man :(

What a cryptic statement, perhaps you would care to expand upon what you mean.

I must admit I know very little about the horse world, but this is something that strikes me. It seems far more acceptable to sell on a horse because it's out-served its purpose, than it would be a dog. Obviously not acceptable to everyone, from reading this thread :flowers:

I just can't imagine ever "owning" a living creature and then wanting to sell him/her to buy a different one. I guess I will stick to dogs :)

I suspect as a percentage there will be many more people on here who would never part with a horse than in the real 'non rescue type people' world.

If circumstances change it must often be much harder to keep a horse than it is to keep your dog or your cat.

Horses/ponies are often kept in livery which is very expensive if you are never actually going to ride the horse.

If you have a pony which is then outgrown by the person that rides it, assuming that the pony enjoyed being hacked or jumped or whatever, is it actually fair on the pony to keep it when you will no longer be able to give it the opportunity to do those things.

I have a friend who has a horse in livery, she recently took a nasty fall and broke her hip and her back. She has been told it will be unsafe for her to ride again and she will be a long, long time before she is able to return to work. Her horse will be sold, she will never be able to ride him again, which he would hate and she cannot possibly afford to keep him.

Do you know I find this sort of treatment of breeders pathetic, I know nothing about horse breeding, but why equate it to dog breeders?? I know plenty of dog breeders who are very active in rescue, and god forbid I know plenty of people who bred and have adopted rescue dogs, they also foster and fund raise, oh evil people who keep pups for 8 weeks and sell them on????????????, I can never understand why people feel the need to be so hostile, surely the approach of getting people on side and educating them is better than just slamming the phone down to them. I'm just glad there are rational rescues out there who work with breeders to educate people and better things for animals, but then I'm sure the thinking is because people breed they make appalling homes?????