UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Woe Is Me

t-dog

At a show last weekend Bella had a lovely clear round in one of the agility courses. When I checked later she hadn't got placed, so i just assumed there were some really fast runs. My OH later checked my time and it had 52. something seconds. I knew this had to be wrong as it was a lot faster than that. Anyhow, my OH had taped the run and we timed it twice and at the most it was 30 seconds, which would have given me at least 3rd place. Clearly human error somewhere along the line but i can't help feeling a bit cheated out of a trophy.

At a show last weekend Bella had a lovely clear round in one of the agility courses. When I checked later she hadn't got placed, so i just assumed there were some really fast runs. My OH later checked my time and it had 52. something seconds. I knew this had to be wrong as it was a lot faster than that. Anyhow, my OH had taped the run and we timed it twice and at the most it was 30 seconds, which would have given me at least 3rd place. Clearly human error somewhere along the line but i can't help feeling a bit cheated out of a trophy.

Easy to confuse a 3 and a 5 sometimes.

Were both the ticket and the score sheet checked?

Pam

Yes, both the ticket and score sheet had the same time on them. I realise that mistakes are made and I'm not angry at all, I wouldn't have envied her job, sitting in torrential rain all day.

I just think that there could be a better system as I know this has happened to a few people (not at the same show).

Last winter I was about to run when the scrimer looked up and asked me if i wanted to change the name of the handler on my ticket, she queried it when I said no, as the handlers name was male. When I checked she had someone elses ticket in front of her (the guy behind me in the queue).

I prefer if when they say my name before i run, at least I know then that they've got my ticket.

I prefer if when they say my name before i run, at least I know then that they've got my ticket.

Me too.

Down south it is apparently common not to be given your ticket before you run because they're scared someone will cheat by writing in their own time. Sad or what?

I like to see mine to check it's the right one. Once I hadn't been given it and the wrong one was used and the class had to be restarted. Lucky it was only a few dogs in, but it's a recipe for disaster IMO.

Are you at East Lothian this weekend?

Pam

LOL I think the main reason is because people like me are incapable of holding my dog, warming both of us up and holding my ticket without tearing it, folding it or ripping it! I hate being handed my ticket!

'Down south' the pad person should confirm your name and the dog's name before they hand it to the scribe, and then the scribe should say your name when they start you (or that's what I always do anyway), that way there are 2 opportunities for the handler to spot a mistake.

LOL I think the main reason is because people like me are incapable of holding my dog, warming both of us up and holding my ticket without tearing it, folding it or ripping it!

I might agree with you after last weekend when I discovered one handler has an unconscious habit of screwing her ticket into a ball.

But I also find it useful to identify who is in the queue and where the end is if people are holding their tickets.

Pam

That's interesting - you get your own tickets?

In NZ, we are allocated a number for the day - it is written on a piece of card and we have to wear that card for the day - some people pin it to their chest, but a lot of people have a clear plastic wallet with an elastic armband so that we can wear it on our arms - much better when you have multiple dogs because you just flip the cards around until you have the correct one visible.

You shout your number to the scrimer and when they nod that they've written it on the scribe sheet, off you go!

How does it work in the UK then?

In denmark we get either a sticker with our number (one dog has same number for whole event) or a number in a plastic thingy with a safety pen on the back. You wear your number (or numbers if you run more dogs) and the people who call you in always make sure you know which dog is BEFORE you, so you can be ready when it is your turn. They like for at least 5 dogs to be in the waiting area in front of the ring, to minimize any waiting time, and it does work quite efficiently.

That sounds like how we do it in NZ too - except we're not nearly as efficient as to have 5 dogs ready on the line! :rolleyes: more like 2 or 3 in front. Depends on the caller though, a good one will have 5 in her eye, but mostly you are called up 3 dogs away

In the UK every class has a folder of tickets with the dog's ring number on (the same for all classes), dog's and handler's names and running order.

The ticket is either given to the handler when they join the queue and handed to the scrimer (the person who writes down faults and electronic time) just before the run, or it is given directly to the scrimer by the person giving out the tickets when the handler gets to the head of the queue.

Noone calls you to run. You just work out for yourself when you need to be at each ring.

It may sound a bit chaotic but it does work.

Entry numbers are so high here (and so many people have multiple dogs running in different rings) that it is impossible to insist on handlers running in strict order so running orders are just a rough guide and show which order a handler's dogs must run if they have more than one in the same class. We have to be flexible otherwise we'd never get through several thousand runs in a day.

The only exception is that dogs must run in strict order in Championship classes.

I have only come across the way you describe what happens in NZ in small interclub matches here.

Most people don't bother to wear their ring numbers here as the dog's number is already printed on the ticket, although I think it is compulsory in competitive Obedience.

Pam