UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Is The Greater Virtue - Tact And Diplomacy Or Sincerity?

Ian

I think it depends rather on the issue. If someone asked me what I thought of a new dress they'd just spent a fortune on, then I'd go for tact. There seems little point hurting someone's feelings over something that (in the end) doesn't matter a jot.

If there was some sort of ethical issue involved then I would be honest, in that I wouldn't compromise what I think. I'd still try to present my point tactfully (ie without being personal or offensive) if possible.

I once lied through my teeth while looking someone right in the eyes. Her family were telling her the truth and stabbing at her heart, I lied becasue I couldn't bear the look on her face when she heard the truth.

When she was stronger a while later (months) I told her exactly what I thought and she thanked me. She said that believing that just one person (me) said what she wanted to hear gave her hope and at that particular time she needed hope more than she needed almost anything else. From that moment on she started to eat again and think about something other than how her world had fallen apart.

I would do it again if I thought it would do more good at that time than to tell the bitter truth.

Tact would not not have cut it so I lied through my teeth.

But in any other situation I would always try to tell the truth but if it would cause pain/upset/hurt feelings and it's someone I care about then I would keep my thoughts to myself.

But in any other situation I would always try to tell the truth but if it would cause pain/upset/hurt feelings and it's someone I care about then I would keep my thoughts to myself.

I like this. I think that is a good ethos to live by.

Im just bluntly honest and tactless but when i tell the truth i mean it sincerely even if it doesnt come across that way. I have always told people never to ask my opinion unless they are very sure they want the truth. I will however tell a blatant lie if im very sure the truth would honestly devastate someone.

I used to be horrifyingly honest when I was younger, but I have learned over time that saying what you think often offends.

As there are very few subjects where I feel really confident enough that I know my view is definitely right and someone else's is definitely wrong, nowadays I always try to stick to the tactful side, and am certainly not above polite falsehoods.

I'm more likely to come out with a definite viewpoint in a fairly abstract debate of principles, but if I'm was talking about a specific person's actions, I'm really reluctant to make definite 'honest' statements, as quite often I find my view of the situation changing as I think more about it anyway.

What a wishy washy post this is...

It was rather

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:biggrin: :biggrin: Well, I take it that was sincerity coming out - or maybe you then tempered it with an attempt at humour & tact?

Edited by Ian