UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dutch Reality Tv Programme

Fee

Ian I think the reason they chose this way - and it's so obviously worked - is because "normal" appeals have had vey little effect.If just one person looks at carrying a donor card/giving permission for organ donation it's done the job.

I believe it worked and eat my words when there is evidence that the number of donors has massively soared. I've yet to see any sign of that though.

Endamol is a commercial entity not a philanthropist I'm afraid

Edited by Ian

I believe it worked and eat my words when there is evidence that the number of donors has massively soared. I've yet to see any sign of that though.

even if it only saved one life,then it was worth it surely? :wink:

Better start eating then Ian, because I heard on the new yesterday that no fewer than 1200 people had registered with the donor scheme because of the stunt! :wink:

You're totally right about Endemol, and I really don't like the company, but in this case their quest for even higher viewing rates and sensation has brought something good about. Doesn't happen often, but kudos to them for this particular stunt.

So pleased to hear it has the desired result.After all those who matter the most - the 3 people waiting for life saving organs trusted the producers enough to appear on the show.200 people die in Holland each year waiting for organs,if one of them has their life given back because of this programme it's served it's purpose.

I'm very relieved to hear the programme wasn't for real. If it really was done to shock people into thinking about organ donation then it can only be a good thing - I've carried a donor card since I was in my teens, and it's something I feel very passionate about.

Personally I'd like to see an 'opt out' rather than an 'opt in' system for organ donations.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive carried a donor card since i was 14 years old, now 41, unfortunatley i have lost my kidney, and having probs with other one with infections etc etc, and if that goes on me I need a donor, hope it wont but hey you never know.. Im lucky as i have family if compat and friends who will let me have one of theirs, although this has highlighed the cause, still not sure about it, still think the programme was a bit sick and endemol got a lot of publicity didnt it, did they do it for that or their own image?