UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

No Smoking Laws

raiye

I honestly think they should have been made to clock in and out of the smoking room so the cost of their habits could genuinely be assessed.

Luckily we only have 1 smoker in our office, she goes out on average 3 times in the day and its always for at least 15 minutes...unoffically (our boss doesn't know) but the moment she goes the rest of us stop working and go on the internet until the moment she walks back in. They ever dare pick us up on it and there will a riot!!! What on earth gives her the right to have more breaks than us just because she chooses to have a habit? I have a habit of wanting to be with my animals...does that mean I get to leave early? One of the other bosses is trying to do something about it as he has 3 in his office that all go for cigarettes together and it's driving him mad!

Wish our smoker was as conciderate of her collegues as you are SB! :flowers:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had the ban here in Scotland for ages now and it is fab! No more coming in from a night out and having to seal noxious smoky clothes in a plastic bag and either wash hair at 2am to get rid of the smell or else change sheets the next day :biggrin: I've never smoked in my life and I utterly detest being forced to breathe in other people's smoke as well so for me the ban has been GREAT! It came in in Northern Ireland at the end of April and my Mum and Stepdad say it has made a huge difference over there as well, especially in restaurants.

I'm a smoker and I try to be a considerate one. I am completely supportive of the new laws, I don't want the right to smoke around people and basically inflict on them what I can't stop inflicting on myself. It's time for this - we can still smoke outside and at home, I don't see the problem with it.

ah now see the they don't work as hard as me attitude really really really pees me off. I'm a smoker... and i don't mind the new smoking rules at all, although my habits will have to change.

however if one of my non smoking colleagues would like to put in the amount of hours that i flaming well do to make up for the measly two or three breaks i get a day (and again today i've had no lunch cos i'm working and they have merrily skipped out for an hour) then they may have a case. Until that day when that comment is so much as uttered in this office I shall continue to flip out.

I have also pointed out (cos i can cos i'm their boss) they are perfectly entitled to go stick the kettle on, sod off for 10 minutes and have a break, and in fact from the amount of time they spend at their computers, they are legally obliged to do so. It usually doesn't change their looks of disgust and as yet no-one has taken me up on the offer.

Lol ditto here :) I work easily in excess of my hours each week, as my work expects that if the need arises.

However we've had the ban here for years now (well seems like that) and I think it's great. Until the ban came in in the North of Ireland I hated going to eat out or for a drink it was gross.

I'm a smoker and I try to be a considerate one. I am completely supportive of the new laws, I don't want the right to smoke around people and basically inflict on them what I can't stop inflicting on myself. It's time for this - we can still smoke outside and at home, I don't see the problem with it.

Well said Kathy.

It's been a great thing for me, I love going to the pub and not coming home stinking :biggrin:

In one of my jobs I used to be the only non smoker and was often fed up at colleagues extended ciggy breaks. I eventually ended up taking 'fag breaks' too and just stopping outside taking 10 mins to myself :biggrin:

I am utterly utterly intolerant of smokers if they affect me and my quality of life. What they choose to do at home is up to them, but I am soooooooooo glad that, at last, the non-smokers will be protected from them in public places.

Now all they need to do is protect us from boozed up people that want to vomit over us and fight non-stop and we can have perfect nights out :laugh:

We have an extremely long waiting list for our stop smoking service as rising panic mounts :huh:

Now all they need to do is protect us from boozed up people that want to vomit over us and fight non-stop and we can have perfect nights out :laugh:

The problem is that smokers don't have to behave "badly" to affect other people in the pub/workplace etc. We're meant to be going out with some very nice friends again for a meal but I am either going to have to wait until 1 July or explain to them that I was ill for at least a day after we last went out, because they smoked after the meal.

I am lucky that no one has fought or thrown up on me when I've been out in the last goodness knows how long :biggrin:

I am a smoker and if visiting someone who doesn't smoke I would not dream of even asking to smoke. But what really p*sses me off is when anyone comes to my home and objects to me smoking.

I wouldn't expect someone not to smoke in their own home. I've spent hours with people smoking, felt ill for a day or so afterwards, but not said anything because it was their home. It does unfortunately mean I won't be able to put myself in the same situation again though.

One thing I have noticed from going to Rob's gigs in the past, is how many young people smoke - and I mean teenagers. I hope the new rules will have a positive effect on that.

Most people can choose if they want to go to the pub or not, but some people work in them - bar staff, bands etc. We no longer expect most people to put up with colleagues smoking in the workplace, so I am glad for the non-smokers in these venues too.

I saw some research on the news recently where they'd rechecked the health of bar staff in Scottish pubs a year after the ban was implemented there.Interestingly sickness rates had gone down,lung function had gone up and any staff who were asthmatics reported a drastic reduction in their use of inhalers.The people checked were all non-smokers so it does show what a big impact passive smoking has on people in pubs,especially staff who are constantly exposed to other people's smoke.

The bad side of it is less use of pubs which has led to redundancies :( It's a shame as I'm sure people could pop outside for a fag without too much impact on their evening out.

I'm not a smoker but dont approve of these new rules at all. With the exception of when eating it's never bothered me if someone smoked (including in my house) & I cant see why they don't just go back to the old system of a smoking room & a none smoking room - everybody happy.

Would the none smokers who are drivers amongst you give up your cars? (ie exhaust fumes probably emit far more toxins than a cigarette and are also alleged to contribute to global warming etc) I know I wouldn't.

What really annoys me thoug is the local councils gearing up to employ people to police this. We can't afford decent hospitals, schools, free school meals for all kids (not something I necessarily agreed with but nevertheless a policy Hull was trialing & which the new Council has cut on cost grounds) and yet we can afford to pay people to do this? Just another stealth tax in my opinion.

We've had it here since April and its been great. I no longer need to move from where im standing or sitting just because someone smoke has blown in my face. I had forgotten it hasnt come into force in England when i went to the Midlands and couldnt work out why they were smoking in the shopping centre.

This is my 37th day without cigarettes so a very recent non-smoker, I did stop before the ban started here in Northern Ireland though had been trying to stop since the New Year.

I do think the ban was the right thing to do......I hated what I was doing to my own body never mind other peoples.