UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Train A Retrieve

Hi all, I had completely fogotten about this thread until I saw it just now. we have had a bit of a breakthrough with Maddie. I basically stopped trying with her retrieve cos she was really not interested, gave up with the clicker and stopped the 1:1 sessions focussing on this. I did however keep throwing the ball when out on walks with the 3 of them and occasionally she would pick the ball up and run round with it at which point I got the stupid voice out and went daft with the praise and treats for her.

A couple of weeks ago I got her out of the car as usual at flyball for a bit of a run round at the end of the field (whilst the other 2 had a break), I took a ball with me a threw it for her just on the off chance she would play, she ran after it then looked at it and wondered off, cue me being daft and kicking it roudn the field and going totally OTT when she picked it up. We have now got to the stage where she will do 7/8 retrieves before she decides she isn't interested anymore - nothing formal, just chuck it out and give loads of praise and sausages for fetching it back in my direction. she doesn't always fetch it all the way back but at the moment I don't really mind about that, as long as she is enjoying it and getting more ball focussed I am happy. Maybe there is a hope for her and flyball yet, will have to wait and see!!

Wow, well done!!!!!

You must be over the moon. :biggrin:

If she gets bored after 7/8, stop at about 4 or 5 when she's still wanting more. That'll make her value it even more.

Good luck with flyball :)

Thanks, I am very chuffed with her. We are only doing it once or at most twice week and I vary the number of throws I do for her, sometimes it is only 1, sometimes 5/6. When I am throwing a ball in the river for the boys she wants to steal it off them when they come out (she couldn't possibly go in to get it, she might get her dainty little feet wet!!!)

well blow me down with a feather. Bert retrieved a squashed football 3 times for me tonight *faint*. Admittedly I only threw it a yard, still, a vast improvement. Don't know what brought that on.....maybe the heat :unsure: :biggrin:

Kimbasmum, well done :biggrin: . Sounds like you're making promising progress :)

Edited by tegk68

Sounds like you are too, well done to you and Bert. I think the people at Flyball all think me a little bit mad now cos of the total over excitement of her fetching a ball back (not that they didn't before!!!). Although they are quite liking the idea that she might one day be able to do flyball cos she will certainly be fast!!!

000_0053.jpg

Fair comment, but I would love to get her doing flyball with the others, she would be so good at it. Obviously if she decides it isn't her thing I won't push it, but I suspect she will think it is rather good to get to run and jump about and get lots of fuss for it, will have to wait and see.

The only things my saluki x likes to pla with are.....

Things that squeak

Real fur.

So we have squeakers removed from toys and hidden in hands, and a few (not many pteppic keeps eating them), rabbit furs, either just the tanned fur, or a fur sewn onto an empty pop bottle to make a dummy.

She will run around wtih the boys ball but thats not because she likes the ball, its because she knows THEY love the ball and will chase her for it......

Perhaps yorus would like a wabbitfur?? If so, try a gunshop, they usually stock them for training gundogs with.

Em

Thanks for that Em, she is doing really well now with the ball, she will retrieve it for me and althogh it isn't the joy of her life, she enjoys the interaction with me. I am trying to train her to retrieve with a view to possibly one day doing flyball with her so will stick to a ball at the moment.

Thanks for that Em, she is doing really well now with the ball, she will retrieve it for me and althogh it isn't the joy of her life, she enjoys the interaction with me. I am trying to train her to retrieve with a view to possibly one day doing flyball with her so will stick to a ball at the moment.

Ooo well done you two :flowers:

My earlier success with Bert appears to be a one off :rolleyes: