UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sick Dogs

scipio

I am, for the second time, in the position of having a sick (and, this time, elderly) dog who has needed constant care for the past few months. When he is bad (disc/arthritis in back), we need two people available to get him up and outside. On his good days, he can manage to walk, although needs help to get up, and seems happy. I know the time will soon come when the bad days will outnumber the good and I will know what I have to do. But his quality of life is still reasonable.

It got me thinking that others must find themselves in this position, ie working but with a sick dog who basically needs full-time assistance of some sort. As I say, we can manage with help from others but it can't be easy for anyone else in this position and who hasn't got others around who can provide that assistance. What do you do? (By the way, I hate leaving my dogs for long even when they are young and fit so they are never left for long! )

The people who are helping me now wont be around to help in the future; and I have to work. So it got me thinking as to whether I could really take on any more dogs (I have two others anyway) while we continue to work. It is ok while the dogs are fit and healthy but working and dogs can become a real problem when they are sick and need care. Annual leave doesn't go far and employers aren't particularly sympathic in my experience. I would quite happily have more dogs (and would give them a good home) but really wonder if I should because of this problem, which is the second time I have faced it. So just wondered if others had been in a similar position and what solution (if any) you found?

Edited by scipio