UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Railway Station

pboae

I know this is a bit random, but there is *always* someone here who knows something, so it seemed a good place to start. :D

If you wanted to request a new railway station to be built, on an existing track, where would you start?

Obviously there will be financial issues which would need to be sorted, but ignoring that for a minute, would it be network rail you'd approach first, or the company that runs the actual train service?

You'll be lucky!

Reading were promised two (one in the early 80s, one in the mid 90s) and as far as I know, they are still talking about both but have built neither.

These were to serve a new housing development and a new business park. I had a minor involvement in both as I lived near one and was on the planning committee for the Council affected by the other.

Initially I'd talk to your local Council. They have the future infrastructure of your area mapped out for much further ahead than you'd imagine. It may already be proposed or may already have been discussed and rejected. It's probably the best place to start, but don't hold your breath.

I already know (informally) that the council would agree to it in priniciple (but not put any money up for it). It was proposed previously, but there was no money for it so it never went anywhere. There *may* be money from developers now (though I know it's still a long shot).

I need to put a proposal to our Directors asking them to pursue it, but I want to do as much of the initial work as I possibly can, but without stepping on any toes. :unsure: The less they actually have to do to move it on a stage, the more likely they are to do it.

Money from Developers is one of the very best way of funding new station builds especially if its included as part of planning consent for another venture

last year I did some work for a company ( Westfield Shopping Towns ) who are building a huge shopping centre between Shepards Bush and White City in West London

as part of there planning permission to build they had to improve local transport links to a tune of 200 million pounds which included

x1 brand new underground Station ( White City ) on the Hammersmith and City

x 1 brand new Network Rail Station ( Shepards Bush )

total refurb and rebuild of 1 existing underground station ( Shepards Bush ) on the Central line

Build a brand new bus station and taxi rank system in a disused grade 2 listed building

construction of a brand new underground sidings and office complex

re contacting railways you want the company that controls the infrastructure ( either Network Rail or London Underground ) , the company that runs the services is known as the TOC ( Train operating Company ) and basically they run there services as a franchise

There is a grand opening of one very close to me next month. It will be called Mitcham Eastfields. As far as I can work out it has been on the cards for years but work only started last year after meetings upon meeting and then votes taking place.

I'm not expecting anything to happen overnight, but I think this needs to go in out 10 year plan now, because the land nearby is graudally being redeveloped or sold off, and if the council want a developer to stump up the cash, it needs to be part of the initial development.