UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Independent Review Of Greyhound Racing

Abigailj

6th February 2007

Greyhound Racing to have Independent Review of Regulation

'Bernard Donoughue, the distinguished Labour Peer, has agreed to chair an independent Review into the regulation of greyhound racing. He aims to report by the summer of this year and has today made a call for evidence.

The Review is part of the reforms introduced into the conduct of the greyhound industry which have been introduced in recent years.

Lord Donoughue will be assisted in this review by Patrick Nixon, Secretary of the Bookmakers’ Committee at the Horse Race Betting Levy Board; Patrick Nixon also assisted Lord Donoughue on the Future Funding of Racing Review. The Independent Review of Regulation Group will be supported by a number of assessors including Clarissa Baldwin, Chairman of the Dogs Trust, Jim Cremin, Greyhound Editor of the Racing Post and Jim Donnelly, Head of Sport at PA Sports.

Lord Donoughue said: “I am conscious that I am taking on a difficult task. But greyhound racing needs to change, as horseracing has, and I am looking forward to getting to grips with the issues it faces.â€

You can read more about Lord Donoghue and the review here LINK

Most importantly rescues or individuals may be interested to know that Lord Donoghue is requesting evidence to be submitted to him.

Lord Donoughue is starting the review process with a call for written evidence. The review will examine the regulation of greyhound racing and make recommendations to ensure that such regulation is efficient and effective and carried out with regard to the principles of modern regulation. Submissions of not more than 4,000 words are invited from interested parties, which can be used to help assess the current and future regulation of greyhound racing.

Submissions will be handled in strictest confidence but should include clear contact information and sent preferably as an email attachment to [email protected] or by post to Mr Patrick Nixon, c/o HBLB, 52 Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0AU.

The deadline for receipt of written evidence is Monday 19th March 2007.

Further information is available at both www.thedogs.co.uk and www.ngrc.org.uk

Contact details:

John Petrie, General Secretary BGRB. Email [email protected]. Tel 07946 191832

Alistair McLean, CEO NGRC. Email [email protected]. Tel 07785 738340

As a side issue I'm not sure why people who are interested in an 'independent review into the regulation of greyhound racing' would be directed to the BGRB or the NGRC ?

The contact details are for the people that have put out the press release - the greyhound racing industry.

The address for submissions is to the Horserace Betting Levy Board (http://www.hblb.org.uk/).

Some links about Lord Donoughue:

So I think the enquiry and the method of submissions appears to be independant of the greyhound racing industry.

The next thing is to get as many good quality submissions to Lord Donoughue as possible; by that I mean submissions that can be substantiated with facts and figures - I suspect that rants about greyhound racing will at best be ignored, and at worst do more harm than good.

Edited by Yeti

Lord Lipsey, Chairman of the BGRB stated “I am thrilled that Bernard Donoughue has agreed to chair this review. His intelligence and practical experience make him a top-calibre individual and greyhound racing is lucky to have him on boardâ€

Who has asked for the review to take place? The whole thing sounds a bit odd to me but there you go....

Yes I expect rants from angry dog owners will be ignored. What is needed are facts and figures from the rescues that take the dogs in.

Who has asked for the review to take place? The whole thing sounds a bit odd to me but there you go....

From the Racing Post

Lord Donoughue . . . the peacemaker

Lord Donoughue, the distinguished Labour peer, has agreed to chair an independent review into the regulation of greyhound racing by the National Greyhound Racing Club.

The review follows criticism of the NGRC from both Parliament and the government, and also the British Greyhound Racing Board – particularly in terms offailing to be aware of disappearance of greyhounds at Seaham, which brought much criticism to the sport. (Full story Wednesday's Racing Post)

That is the only other info I have been able to find about it :(

Edited by Abigailj

From the Racing Post

Lord Donoughue . . . the peacemaker

Lord Donoughue, the distinguished Labour peer, has agreed to chair an independent review into the regulation of greyhound racing by the National Greyhound Racing Club.

The review follows criticism of the NGRC from both Parliament and the government, and also the British Greyhound Racing Board – particularly in terms offailing to be aware of disappearance of greyhounds at Seaham, which brought much criticism to the sport. (Full story Wednesday's Racing Post)

That is the only other info I have been able to find about it :(

Interesting - this perhaps changes my earlier reply.

May be wrong, but I think this is the key word is the one highlighted: has agreed to chair an independent review into the regulation of greyhound racing by the National Greyhound Racing Club

The way I read this is that the review was asked for by the NGRC, and his Lordship is the chair of it. The fact that the NGRC have asked someone outside of the industry (I'm assuming he is - I couldn't find anything on the web to suggest otherwise), and that submissions do not go the NGRC, does make it an independent enquiry. However, as it is a request from the NGRC I'm sure they were careful to ask someone who, while not in the industry, is generally OK with the basic ethos of animals running round a track for the sake of "entertainment" - the fact that this guy is into horse racing suggests that that is the case.

What would be interesting to know is when the review is to be completed by, if the report will be put in the public domain, and to what level the NGRC and other bodies are to be bound by the reviews findings and recommendations.

Afraid I agree, just who in that review is there for the greyhounds as they are all pro racing.

I'm afraid it does look that way. That was my gut instinct but then I thought I shouldn't be all rash about it so I had a look around for any other info.

It looks as though it is something that they have asked to be done themselves, possibly so that they have something to show when DEFRA return to make their decisions about whether or not to impose independent regulation upon them.

Can I ask whether it's known if or how anyone is going to present evidence?

I'm just thinking it would be great if for example rescues were able to present figures for the volume of greyhounds that they have dealt with over a specific time period.

I'm thinking I may just submit a list of the registered charities for greyhound welfare, the number of those I think gives a very basic indicator of the rehoming issues.

It would be a shame if this opportunity wasn't utilised regardless of the dubious racing links.