UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Do Pointy Dogs Drink Less Than "other" Dogs?

hedgehog

If the first blood test is the T4 level (I confess I get a bit 'rabbit in the headlights' and only take in about 10% of what I'm told) then it was 0.9. I think the vet said that the lowest 'normal' measurement is 15 - does that sound right?

Anyway, I'm glad I pushed for the blood test now. The vet was all for waiting for a few weeks to see if Daisy lost any weight on a diet and only doing a blood test if the diet didn't seem to be working.

Fingers crossed the improvement will happen quite quickly. How long did it take for Otis to feel better once he started on the tablets? Did it take a bit of experimentation to get the dosage right? Daisy's on 0.3mg of soloxine.

The vet has said that I need to get more water into her system, so if anyone's got any ideas I would be grateful. I've started added some water to her food, but that just stops her drinking from her water bowl!

Kate :flowers:

If the first blood test is the T4 level (I confess I get a bit 'rabbit in the headlights' and only take in about 10% of what I'm told) then it was 0.9. I think the vet said that the lowest 'normal' measurement is 15 - does that sound right?

Anyway, I'm glad I pushed for the blood test now. The vet was all for waiting for a few weeks to see if Daisy lost any weight on a diet and only doing a blood test if the diet didn't seem to be working.

Fingers crossed the improvement will happen quite quickly. How long did it take for Otis to feel better once he started on the tablets? Did it take a bit of experimentation to get the dosage right? Daisy's on 0.3mg of soloxine.

The vet has said that I need to get more water into her system, so if anyone's got any ideas I would be grateful. I've started added some water to her food, but that just stops her drinking from her water bowl!

Kate :flowers:

My vet (she has a particular interest in lurchers and greys - she has two herself and is a breed rescue vet too) says that 15 is about the lowest normal measurement for other breeds, although greys and lurchers can be lower but still normal too. I think it is a matter of judging when the symptoms are at their least noticeable/disappear completely. We always aim for about 20 with Otis, as that's when his behaviour seems about the best :rolleyes: and he is on 0.75mg of soloxine, twice a day - he is about 30 kilos. Apparently the tablets are best given on an empty stomach and split into two doses, to try and maintain an even keel, rather than have peaks and troughs in the levels throughout the day.

It took us some time to find the right levels to maintain his T4 as a result of his thyroid gland working sporadically initially, then conking out completely, but we seem to be there now, fingers crossed.

I'm sure you will start to see an improvement in Daisy pretty soon :) Have you tried making her frozen lollies to encourage her to 'drink' more? I add Barker and Barkers Tasty Topper to mine before freezing (well, the dogs' obviously!) Tasty Topper Liver powder and a few biccies, but you could add carrots sticks for interest I guess?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking :flowers: I've been away, or I would have replied earlier.

Daisy's doing really well. It's like having a different dog. She's all smiley and waggy and jumping about all over the place.

We have to go back for another blood test in a couple of weeks. I'll ask about separating her soloxine into two doses during the day - the vet told me to give it all in one go.

The fur on her snout and tail is growing back and she's lost 2.25kg so far :biggrin:

I'm really glad Otis is doing so well too.