UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Warning ! Ticks And How To Safely Remove Them

chuckey-lee

I hate ticks - yuck, yuck, yuck!

We were in Dorset earlier in the year in an area I knew to be wick with the horrors.

I jiggled the timing of my Frontline treatment of Tigger and Daisy so that they were treated two weeks before we went to try to give them maximum protection.

After every walk they were both brushed and combed, and I would take off by hand every single tick I could find (bowl of water to hand for drowing, although next time I will take the alcohol), and really checked them over carefully.

As Tigger is longer coated, they would particularly gather around his shoulders, chest and "arm pits" - but I have to say that the Frontline did seem to work - as I really can't believe that I managed to hand pick off every one.

We were caught out last year when Tigger picked up a tick. I visited the vet local to where I was staying for some Frontline spray - they examined him, and were quite happy for me to use that treatment.

However, I think I will be investing in a tick remover too!

THis thread reminded me to dig out my tick remover cos I'm off to the lakes next week!

Tippy is being frontlined today in preparation too.

I'm sure the first (and no pruned) thread about ticks mentioned some stuff that you can buy that actually stops the tick attaching in the first place - any ideas anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Would be interested in something that would stop them attaching too.

Where we walk is tick ridden. My friend's Westie suffers the worst, but then she is the one that goes rooting through the heather and bracken the most. On returning to the car after one walk, we took 16 off her (before they'd attached). I scratched for the rest of the day :sick01: My friend later found one attached to her stomach (the Westie had been on her lap whilst being de-ticked). I would have had the screaming heebyjeebies :ohmy: Fortunately Indy's only managed to pick up 3 so far - and my trusty tick remover has been a godsend. :) I could still win a dry-retching contest whilst I remove them though :mecry: :sick01: :laugh:

Last year I had to remove 9 of them from myself. This year has been much better as it's been only two :) .

The first time I found one I was in my local co-op. I dropped my shopping on the floor and ran out screaming. When I arrived home I stripped naked for the OH to inspect me for more. I think he initially thought all his Christmas's had come at once! :huh:

I wanted to frontline myself but my vets refused :mad: