UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Feb 21

Jazz

That's one of the reasons I left Santander Jazz, after being with them for over 30 years. Their online help was abysmal and usually consisted of go to a branch to get it sorted. Yep, I'm going to get on a ferry and then drive several miles at the other end to sort out a stupid technical problem at their end. So I switched banks to one that has a branch in town and I've never needed to go in there to sort out anything lol.

Been freezy cold here too today, bitter icy wind making it worse. Meant to be warmer for the rest of the week, reaching a tropical 9 degrees by Tuesday. Quite a bit of rain forecast with it, mind you, but you can't have everything. Roll on spring.

According to my phone, it's minus 2 outside but feels like minus 9 with the windchill! Luckily for me, Philip walks Candy, I don't.  Just got out of a nice hot bath so I should be warm for the rest of the evening.

Saw online someone had  their American bulldog stolen from outside a Morrison's in Aberdeen.  Has the dog thieves message not got round Scotland, Eve and blackmagic? or is it the old "won't happen to me" syndrome? I devoutly hope they get it back, but that is a perfect candidate for a bait dog, sadly.

Philip bought some wild bird seed which is supposedly for robins and songbirds.  How do I explain to the magpies and pigeons that they don't fit either description? Perishers hoover up most of it before the little birds get a chance!

• Haha 1

Where I live Suzeanna it is mostly older folk who still leave their dogs outside shops, though not exclusively. I guess they're mostly in the 'well I've always done it' camp and don't have much idea how prevalent dog theft is these days.

I put peanuts out for the pigeons, on the ground. They never go on the feeders so the little birds have free reign on there. They also nick a lot of the peanuts too, mind you, before the pigeons get there lol. I spend an absolute fortune on bird food overall.

Same when I lived 'oop north'. Strangely, the only shops dogs were left tied up outside was the coop or tesco. It has always been there custom to walk the dogs to the shops.

Mind you anybody stealing a dog   had a 100 mile journey to get away to anywhere.

There was one report of the infamous 'white van' in the area. A woman was walking from the coop up a short passage to the main shops. A main thoroughfare so not narrow or secluded. She had two dogs on leads in one hand and two bags in the other.

A man came up behind and took hold of the dogs ' leads saying ' can I give you a hand?'.

Fortunately, she hung on to them and said 'no'. He went away, probably because she was in a shopping area with people around.

The same van was seen  reported later  on Orkney.

The jungle drums were active and they quickly left Orkney for the mainland and disappeared down south again.

I can remember when I was a child our dog went to the shops with my mum. But he was not on a lead and was not tied up. He took himself to the back door of the butcher's shop to get a bone.

One day as he walked beside her there was a woman in front of her with a shopping basket. On top of the basket was balanced a bag  from the bakers.

The dog reached forward and neatly lifted the bag off the basket and ran off with it. The woman do not notice him doing it.

My mum carried on as if nothing had happened.

I bet the woman was surprised when she got home and found it missing.  She probably thought  it had fallen off.

• Haha 1

Good morning. Bit of a disturbed night with Wispa. She is having a rough time with her hips due to the extreme temperatures but keeps wanting to go outside and lick the ice, in spite of having water bowls full both in kitchen and on upstairs landing. I sometimes wonder if she has a touch of dementia :(