UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

August ruminations 2020

griff

You should see the parking around here! They are even driving of the road to park on the lake shore!

Local cleaners are complaining bitterly about the mess left behind in the holiday lets. I can't even tell you what some have found it's so disgusting 🤮🤮

We seem to have a totally different sort of tourist who don't give a stuff about anyone but themselves. Locals are calling them The Benidorm Brigade. The local authority had to introduce a one way pedestrian system around the market square to try and cut down on the crowds not social distancing. There are big signs up every few feet but are they taking notice? Not on your nelly.

Ruby & I are rather glad now that we are cocooned at home. 

As someone who did a stint cleaning holiday caravans, not much surprises me concerning what people leave behind but I do think that things are worse on the general litter front, possibly because we have more takeaway food and drink available. Fly tipping round here is a nightmare. There is less on the reserve, possibly because acting with the rural crime police team we have managed to nab some culprits, but they have just increased dumping elsewhere. 

Yantan. I can now  empathise with the reports from abroad of the 'English louts' on holiday.

It is so widespread over the whole country.

from a local round up of the situation.

" Meanwhile, in Devon, police spent over 5 hours breaking up an illegal rave attended by about 200 people in Hawkchurch. No arrests were made.
* In Scotland, police issued fixed penalties today, to 70 drivers parked dangerously on the road skirting Loch Lomond."

Australia is in a terrible state now after being so  successful at the beginning. Again lack of social distancing causing it. 

There is a false  sense of security and an 'I will be okay' attitude.

The longer it goes on the  harder it will be to get people to comply.

sorry, all that came up once I posted. yes, people don't care anymore, and its too dangerous to have a go at them, saying that, I have had words with the men who decide to stand by my fence from 9pm. I live at the bottom of the hill on the end, they live furher up so don't need to be near me

I am rather glad that Harworth Bircotes is a very unfashionable place so no one comes here without a reason! Having said that, we seem to be getting dog thieves. Working spaniels and terriers are the choice at present, and someone stole one from a garden on the edge of the village and was caught on camera. I don't even leave Wispa with access to our locked and well secured garden now if I want to pop out for a short while.  No one could steal her but a thief might injure her in self-defence. 

That's scary, Owl.  Our back garden is completely secure, we have a high hawthorn hedge on one side, six foot fencing with shrubs and willow in front on the other, and the end that backs onto field has a huge drainage ditch behind it and again, a six foot wall.  Thing about Candy is she's very aloof with strangers, and if anyone comes to the door she barks her head off and sounds a lot bigger than she is.  I don't think anyone would get near her without us knowing.

My son is lucky, he lives a short drive from Worthing and can get down to the beach very quickly.  Most of the day trippers carry on to Brighton, which he avoids like the plague.

I was reading about visitors to Cornwall moaning when told to wear masks and saying they went there to get away from all that.  Do they think Cornwall has some sort of magic antivirus screen?

Dog theft seems rife at the moment. Several reported around Norfolk.

Working dogs are   targeted but what  responsible person buys a random working dog.? They must know it is stolen.

I read on facebook of one dog stolen but dumped back outside the house. Must have been too hot to handle.

Cleo barks at people at the door or out the front but as soon as they come into the house or back garden they are okay.   I don't know what she would be like if she was on her own though as she is not barking at the person but to tell me someone is there.

Previous dogs didn't bark if somebody came to the door when we were not in.  W were not there to tell.

I do not leave her access to the garden if I am not there.

I do not leave her access to the garden if I am not there.

1 hour ago, eve said:

My posts keep disappearing. Over the past couple of days I've written and submitted some of my usual drivel but they haven't shown up on here. Think I'm becoming invisible 😨 lol

I think you might have posted in July after the August thread had started Eve. Also I sometimes think I've posted only come to find that I hadn't actually pressed the send button. Could that possibly have happened to you too??

Managed a quick half hour in the garden before the midgies found me.

Reports now of rubbish, including human, being left by camper vans and caravans.

Emptying chemical toilets into rivers. Emptying them into public toilets.

One  man broke into a caravan site toilet that  had been cordoned off for social  distancing.

The highlands kept asking for tourists to be able to come but we have never had to put up with this before.

This morning a car and caravan went speeding past me on the single track road when I was walking Cleo. I felt the rush of him going past. He did not slow at all when he saw me.

it is not youths or young adults doing it.  It is middle aged people.

Yesterday  two 4x4s tried to pass , instead of one reversing to the passing place. One ended up in ditch hidden by the long grass on the verge. They had along wait for rescue. Visitors don't  realise there are deep ditches at the side of the road. 

Those hiring camper vans have no idea how to reverse them or how wide they are. They often drive with their wheels over the white line on our narrow roads.

The accidents will start soon.

• Sad 2

Yes, Eve, you put a post in July by mistake. Easily done.

I can't understand why people are being so utterly stupid about going on hols.  It's not just that, there are people being rude to shop staff over the Covid rules, it is as if some people think they are above everyone else. 

😂 Stupid me.

So sad to read of all the ignorant tourists. What on earth is wrong with people that they think they're above common decency, never mind the law. I have no wish to go on holiday, which is a shame as the businesses need us. I don't mean the greedy holiday let owners who are just ripping people off but the small businesses that depend on tourism to survive.