UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

August ruminations 2020

griff

its been really heavy here, but its just right now

the nolans cruising is on, just happened to turn  it over when 2 of them were saying they got put in a hospital for weeks at a time, but they didn't feel ill. they were told later it was because their parents couldn't handle all of the kids so put them in there. I don't know your ages, but did that happen to anyone you knew? My brothers were put in a childrens home when mother was pregnant and didn't come home till the baby was gone. it must have been a 'normal' thing to do then

I think I'm quite a bit older than you Jazz (63) but that didn't happen to anyone I knew, so not sure when 'then' was. Maybe depended who was nearby? My granny lived a few doors down from us and looked after us when my mum was having another baby. That was quite common in our village. You stayed with family or family friends who you called 'auntie' lol. No way my parents would ever have put us in a home or hospital whatever the reason.

Sorry wasn't on yesterday. Went over to Glasgow to scatter some of my dad's ashes in the street where he was born. I promised him I'd take him 'home' when he was in the care home and now I finally have. Had planned to do it on the anniversary of the day he died but Covid scuppered  that so we did it on the nearest weekend to his birthday. Was also the nearest weekend to my son's birthday so we went out for a meal and a few drinks with him and his wife in the evening. Was nice to do something a bit different.

• Like 2

There are fewer nuns, for one thing. Its' quite hard to get into a religious order now, where in past times convents were sometimes a dumping ground for young women who had no family. A friend's mother was forced into a convent in Ireland after her mum and sisters were killed in a house fire when she was staying with a relative. She was 17 and her father was away at sea. Father was Protestant, mother was Catholic, and relatives said the fire was a punishment on her mother for marrying a Protestant. This poor girl was taken by relatives to a convent, in theory to do penance for her mother's sin for the rest of her life but more likely so that they didn't have to give her a home. After a few weeks father returned from sea and removed her at once. 

I think establishments run by nuns got away with a lot, and not only in the notorious Magdalen laundries. One family of 7 children in Ireland were orphaned after first one then the other parent died, in 1930s.  They had aunt and uncle who were childless and really wanted to adopt them all, but authorities would not let them and put them all into a children's home in England where they were not called by their names but given numbers.  They finally escaped when the eldest was nearly 15, and confided to her best friend at school that she would have to leave on her 15th birthday and had 6 weeks to find a job or she would be thrown out on to the street. Her best friend Betty was someone I knew, a friend's mum who died last year.  Betty said her family would see this didn't happen. Went home and told mum and dad, who not only took in the eldest girl but managed to adopt the other 6.

the nolans were saying she was 6 when she went in there and the nun hit her, they were brutal.

I have my first hospital appointment for next year

ive been meaning to cover the wires for months, just looked at it, not got enough. why did I tidy up? cant find the dogs chews, I bought a lot of them. ive run out of room for my hoard. that didn't take long lol

Im sorry. meant to say im glad you scattered his ashes. Ive still got mothers. she was only happy at home xxx

Dull and cloudy here this morning. It has been low cloud first thing  the last two days, but the sun came out and the temperature was up in the 20s.  It doesn't look like that will happen today.

Glad you had a successful day out, Eve. 

Having a quiet day doing exciting things like ironing and clearing out. SO much fun!

Morning all. Was cloudy here earlier but fairly warm so we had a good walk with the dogs. The heavens opened a little while ago and looks to be showery for the next few hours. That scuppered my plans I had for clearing up the front garden. I did so much housework the past few days I have no intention of doing any today so not sure what to do with myself now. Might actually get round to finishing the book I started weeks ago if the dogs give me peace.

Hope your house sale progresses smoothly Blackmagic. Do you know where you want to move to?

Well done for the housework Eve, and glad you scattered your dad's ashes as promised.

Hope you find it easy to find a new home you will be happy in blackmagic, to start a new chapter of your life.

Regarding the nun thing, my godmother (the one who ended up in occupied France during the war) was bunged into a boarding school run by nuns when she was only four. Nothing to do with her family being poor, quite the reverse, they were very well off but she was an unwelcome nuisance so far as her mother was concerned.  Prue said she remembers wetting the bed and being made to sit in a bath of cold water for hours and that the nuns were generally spiteful and cruel.  She was an immensely brave woman, but she used to shake if she was close to a nun. Amazing the evil that can be done in the name of God.

• Sad 1